IE7 & Favicons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IE7 & Favicons

How do you get a favicon to appeat consistently across your site ?

With the roll out of IE7 more people will be exposed to favicons and so I thought I would add one to my site.

I created my favicon.ico and ftp'd it to my www root directory.
    I also edited the HTML in my index file as follows:

Insert the following HTML tag inside the <head> ... </head>
    section of your web page.

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" >

This worked ok but was a quick fix as this was a manual amendment and would be lost when my index page is next updated by an upload.

To make it perm I added this HTML tag to the Act_Primary template and added the favicon.ico to Site 1 root folder and registered it through additional files.

All seemed well but I noted that some pages on the site showed the favicon and others didn't. These pages resided in acatolog and so I dropped a copy of the favicon in there and again registered it.

I thought this was a good a plan until I tried to upload and kept getting failures at the merge point. Once I backed out these changes the upload and merge worked fine.

Any ideas what I was doing wrong ?
    Any suggestions on how I can get the favicon to appear for all the pages in my site ?

Thanks
    S

You willneed to add the 'favicon code' to all relevant templates including at least: Act_Primary and Act_BrochurePrimary.

Comment

Thank you.
      I'm caught in the Christmas rush at present and will try and make these changes in Jan.
      Sarah

Comment

I think it would be a good idea to keep all these favicon threads in one place:
        http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=26040

Comment

Duncan,

I disagree with the need to add a link statement into the templates. This should only be needed if the file is in a non standard place (example - a subfolder off acatalog).

A favicon should work just fine without so long as it is in the /acatalog/ or the website root folder. All that is needed for it to show in IE is a bookmark to the site.

Nothing is required in Opera or Firefox or Safari - all will show any existing favicon immediately a site is accessed.
          Bill
          www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
          Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
          BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
          Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
          VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
          Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

I've never tried it without the link statement. I battled to get my very first one working and since then I just copy the method I found worked. I agree if it's not needed then leave it out - keep it simple.

Comment

Working...
            X