Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 For 2 Offer!

Dear Community,

I'm currently running a promotional '3 for 2' offer which is proving quite popular with customers. However, there seems to be a problem with the product that Actinic is electing to give free of charge.

Example (based on real purchase)
    1x Dematting Comb @ £4.47
    1x Fine Mat-Breaker @ £5.52
    2x Long-Hair Undercoat Rake @ £3.62 (each)
    1x Coarse Mat-Breaker @ £5.52

As you can see the cheapest product is a Long-Hair Undercoat Rake (£3.62) and Actinic initially selects this product for discount. However, when the customer then adds the Coarse Mat-Breaker (£5.52), the choice of free product changes to Dematting Comb (£4.47). This is obviously a BIG mistake and is costing me money!

The problem is that Actinic has decided to total the cost of the undercoat rakes, amounting to £7.24, which would make the dematting comb the cheapest purchase at £4.47. However, anyone can clearly see there is bug here which needs to be resolved.

It is highly likely I will have to stop this promotion temporarily whilst this issue is investigated and resolved. Your earliest attention to the matter would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has any sensible idea of how to resolve this, without confusing customer, I welcome your comments.

Many thanks in advance.

Kevin Simpson
    Simpsons of Langley Ltd.
    www.simpsons-online.co.uk
    Simpsons of Langley Ltd.
    Manufacturers and Retailers of Professional Pet Grooming Products.
    http://www.simpsons-online.co.uk

This has been covered before and whilst initially I was on the same tack as you I conceeded in that in general retailing and shopping terms it does work correctly.

The theory being that the customer could in the real world buy and pay for the 3 items and go back into the shop to buy the 4th (cheapest) again. Hence the discount is applied to the first batch of 3 where the customer would select the 3 most expensive items. The second visit is for the cheapest item.

Due to my product range and the type of real-world promotions we undertake the Actinic solution went against the grain. After an excellent post by Martin (fleetwood) he changed my stubborn ways - not an easy task - as I could see the logic in the way Actinic handled the discounting. Even though it was not as I wanted and I was giving away more money than would like I saw that customers who are used to real world discounts could get annoyed and I would lose the sale.

A search should find the original thread which discussed both sides of the arguement.

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

3 For 2 Offer!

Hi Jonty,

Thanks for the reply, before I accept the limitations of the software, please consider the following order (received today).

1x Fine Mat-Breaker = £5.52
      1x Mat-Splitter = £1.69
      1x Dematting Comb = £4.49
      1x 6½" Thinning Scissor = £8.47

Which product should be free of charge - 'Mat-Splitter' (£1.69) right? Wrong - Actinic selects the 'Dematting Comb' (£4.49) as the free product.

This surely can't be right?

Thanks in advance.
      Kevin Simpson
      Simpsons of Langley Ltd.

Comment

Whilst I personally agree, and would like a set up like that, the real world works in a different way and people transfer their real world expectations onto the internet.

If you had a shop people would use 2 baskets .. the first containing the 3 most expensive products and the second the cheapest products .. as this would cause additional work (and cost) to the store they make this the default shopping experience. The customer is happy at the extra saving and the store makes the sale and hopefully retains their custom. Most of the online stores now work in this fashion. For once this is the pressure of the high street coming to bear on the internet.

There probably should be some flexability to offer the discounts as the store holder requires but I can see this leading to a whole catalogue of complaints being raised by customers expecting something different to happen. If the customer is actually expecting the cheapest product to be free and suddenly gets a higher priced item free they are onto a bonus and it will only add to the feel good factor of the site.

I now make sure any discounts and promotions are set to ensure I am covered financially whilst keeping the customers happy.

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Re: 3 for 2 (Buy 2 Get 1 Free) the debate continues!

Hi Jonty,

Thanks for the reply. I sort of agree with your comments but this is a very grey area. I appreciate that consumers will try and exploit any promotion to their avantage. However, as retailers we must ultimately retain control and encourage consumers to purchase products in a fashion which we dictate.

In my last example, Actinic is clearly not following its own rules and is not selecting the 'cheapest' product. There can be no argument and about this. It is simple logic and mathematics that any computer can and should be able to comprehend - unless the programmer has instructed it not to.

Although this sales approach may work for some businesses, such as those operating from home with zero-overheads and prepared to accept low profit margins, this is not a business model which I subscribe to. I therefore 'kindly' request that Actinic considers incorporating more flexibility into its 'promo' software to give retailers a choice in how their promotions work.

Fortunately, I make a decent profit on all the products in my promotion so it's not too damaging to my bottom line. However, I hate the fact that the promotion is being run to the advantage of consumers and NOT my business. This is ultimately a recipe for sales disaster!

Rant over - thanks for listening.
          Simpsons of Langley Ltd.

Comment

Praise from Jonty - I am honoured indeed

I can't find the previous posting where we kinda nailed this issue, but to answer the rant:

1x Mat-Splitter = £1.69

Which product should be free of charge - 'Mat-Splitter' (£1.69) right? Wrong - Actinic selects the 'Dematting Comb' (£4.49) as the free product.
            The dematting comb is the correct product to go free.
            Its not a customer exploiting the system, its retail logic.

There is nothing to stop the customer buying
            and getting the 1x Dematting Comb free (its the cheapest of the 3. The customer is free to choose which 3 products to buy as a group - its their right, not their problem).

The customer can then go on to buy
            1x Mat-Splitter = £1.69
            as a seperate purchase.

Its not a fiddle, or a software glitch, its what a customer can do in the real world. If you force a customer to take an awkward route (splitting a purchase of 4 items into 2 seperate purchases, just so they can get the maximum benefit, you may well put the customer buying alltogether). The only way you can "retain control" is structure your promotion to only cover products that you are happy to give away eg. structure one grouping of products in a £3-£5 range, and structure a seperate offer for products in the £1-£2.99 range

Comment

Working...
            X