Exporting data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

* I know i am.

It's three relatively simple steps. First of all you need to export all of the products within your catalogue to a spreadsheet. So you have a list with all of your products contained. Secondly, export your sales analysis which details how many of each product has been sold.

Thirdly, get the first spreadsheet to look up it's name in the second spreadsheet and fill in the sales figure.

Comment

b b but but but Actinic will only let me print the sales reports and so on, not save them as a spreadsheet!

Comment

thanks for your patience btw!

Comment

Don't you have an export tab with the report selecting tool? I can't confirm as i don't have V6, but Jan has said that V6 has pretty much what V8 does, so it should be there somewhere.

Comment

i don't, no. looks like i'll have to print it and then use an OCR program to get it back in. how ridiculous!

Comment

That sounds like a poor solution, there has to be something better available. I would be surprised if there is no export facility.

Comment

perhaps this could help:

open your database 'ActinicCatalog.mdb'

Click Queries

Click Create Query using Wizard

in the tables/queries dropdown, select 'Product'

add these two available fields; 'Short Description' and 'nStockOnHand'
                to the right column

press finish.

I have no idea how actinic derives the amount of an item sold offhand. I would use SQL do parse the orders table, and then use this data against the list of products

Comment

Nick,

In v6 you can go to 'View | Business Settings | Ordering' and under 'Report Options' select 'Enable Export to Files', you will see that this creates 5 csv files. These are stored in your site1 folder by default and will be overwritten with each subsequent export.

You can select a range of orders and right click to select 'Re-export to files', this will export the data for those orders to the above mentioned files, from where you can copy them to a master spreadsheet or use in any other way.

Kind regards,
                  Bruce King
                  SellerDeck

Comment

i knocked this up, but its ugly.

save this to a file called 'exportsales.vbs' on your desktop. if will make a csv file at 'c:/output.csv' err, probably.

dont forget to change your db path. i have no idea if this will work for you in V6

Code:
                    'my shop database is located at:
                    mydb = "C:\Program Files\Actinic V8\Sites\Site1\ActinicCatalog.mdb"

'open file
                    Const ForWriting = 2
                    Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
                    Set objFile = objFSO.OpenTextFile("C:\output.csv", ForWriting, True)
                    objFile.Write """Prod Name"", ""Total Orders"""

'Get data
                    	Set OBJdbConnection = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
                    	OBJdbConnection.Open "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" & mydb
                    	SQLQuery = "SELECT [Short description], [Product Reference] FROM Product"
                    	Set Result = OBJdbConnection.Execute(SQLQuery)
                    	if Not Result.EOF then
                    	'thisdata="Short Desc" & VbTab & "Ref"
                    	  Do While Not Result.EOF

thisdescription = Result("Short description")
                    	  if thisdescription <> "" then thisdescription = replace(thisdescription,"""","")

Set OBJdbConnection2 = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
                    				OBJdbConnection2.Open "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" & mydb
                    				SQLQuery2 = "SELECT [ProductReference],[QuantityOrdered] FROM [OrderDetail] WHERE [ProductReference] LIKE '" & Result("Product Reference") & "'"
                    				Set Result2 = OBJdbConnection2.Execute(SQLQuery2)
                    				thiscount="0"
                    				if Not Result2.EOF then
                    				  Do While Not Result2.EOF
                    					thiscount = thiscount + Result2("QuantityOrdered")

Result2.MoveNext
                    				  Loop
                    				end if
                    				OBJdbConnection2.Close

objFile.Write VbCrLf & """" & thisdescription & """,""" & thiscount & """"
                    		Result.MoveNext
                    	  Loop
                    	end if
                    	OBJdbConnection.Close

'close file
                    objFile.Close

msgbox("done")
                    Last edited by gabrielcrowe; 16-Mar-2007, 04:13 PM. Reason: fixed code to take into consideration quantity ordered

Comment

bear in mind that i changed this code several times. i'm always forgetting things you see. :P

also, something i realised, is that occasionally, after a lot of adding and deleting of products, the product references get mangled, leading to innacurate output from this little bit of code, so, er, i have no suggestions after that, lol. its for example only, and additonal work, dont trust its output currently.

Comment

blimey!

thanks very much - i won't be near the pc till monday now, but i'll have a go then.

have a good weekend

Comment

Hi Nick
                          Here is how to do it in Access
                          Open Access and click on Queries.
                          Double click on Create Query in Query in design View
                          Add these 2 tables to the view from the add table box:
                          Product
                          Order detail
                          close box
                          Locate the view icon on left hand side of the icon bar - it has a drop down by the side of it - select SQL View and delete whatever is there and paste the following:

SELECT Product.[Product reference], Product.[Short description], Sum(OrderDetail.QuantityOrdered) AS [Number sold], Sum(OrderDetail.Price) AS [value]
                          FROM Product LEFT JOIN OrderDetail ON Product.[Product reference] = OrderDetail.ProductReference
                          GROUP BY Product.[Product reference], Product.[Short description]
                          ORDER BY Product.[Product reference];

Save the query as My Sales.
                          Go back to Design View and select query from the menu bar
                          Select make table and give your table a name such as Total sales.
                          Save query again
                          Double click on the my sales query and accept the questions asked.
                          go to the table view and open the Total sales table
                          If I understand your needs correctly, you will see the product reference all of them), short description and the number of items sold including those you have sold nothing of, plus total sales value (in pence).
                          if this is OK close the table, make sure it is highlighted and got to file. select export, change the type of export to excel and you then have your table in excel.
                          Anytime you want to update it, double click on the My sales query and export the table again
                          Regards
                          Howard

Comment

Howard - thanks soooooo much. i'm nearly there! the problem i have now is shown here.. http://www.pussyhomeboutique.co.uk/access/
                            the short description won't show up. any ideas?
                            thanks again!

Comment

Hi Nick
                              Not sure how that happened.
                              Go to the query and select design view.
                              Where the expr1001 is showing, highlight it and select the down arrow and scroll down to Short description, select it, make sure the table line shows Product and save the query. It should then work
                              Regards
                              Howard

Comment

well, thanks for all your help Howard, in the end i got it to work by pasting all the desciptions into that spreadsheet relative to the product code - but the figures it came up with were all completely ridiculous! it was telling me that we'd sold 120 of a product that i know we hadn't sold any of etc etc.
                                going to try again tomorrow.
                                thanks again though - it's the closest i've got!

Comment

Working...
                                X