No announcement yet.

H1 tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be careful about spamming the H1 tags. These need to be used wisely and correctly nested ... if you disable the stylesheet from your site you should be able to read it correctly and it should be obvious which is the most important parts on the page.

If you have H1 product titles and little to no product description this could be looked at as spamming on a multi-product page as there will be lots of H1 tags and not much else.

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I think she'll be OK in this case Jonty, it's one product per page and there is a deluge of info. It's got that much it also warrants some h2's etc.

Comment

No worries then, if there is lots of content it should be fine.

(Some SEO companies annoy the life out of me with "whack H1 tags in there and you'll be reet" with no consequence or thought about how the page is constructed)

Bikster

Comment

Hi Lee,

I did as you suggested, and although it did put in the desired h1 tag, it made the product title massive. I am not quite sure why as I have altered the CSS file to restrict the size of the h1 appearance at our site, as follows::

}

H1, H2, H4, H5, H6
          {font-family: Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Times New Roman; font-

size: 10pt; color: black
          }

You asked me to check out what this is doing in the CSS stylesheet:

<span class="actxxsmallblue">NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTNAME</span>

Well, I have looked at the style sheet and here is the code this relates to:

}
          .actxxsmallblue {

font-size:12px;

font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif;
          font-weight: bold;
          color: #0368B2;
          }

Help!

Best wishes,

Jan (i-Sounds)

P.S. I am actually a man by the way, Jan is a Dutch name meaning John, hope you will still help me out though?

Comment

Originally posted by jont
            Be careful about spamming the H1 tags. These need to be used wisely and correctly nested ... if you disable the stylesheet from your site you should be able to read it correctly and it should be obvious which is the most important parts on the page.

If you have H1 product titles and little to no product description this could be looked at as spamming on a multi-product page as there will be lots of H1 tags and not much else.
            Thanks Jont. I will bear this in mind, some of our pages are a little sparce on content, and I will have to work on them accordingly, so this is good to know! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by i-sounds
              font-size: 10pt; color: black
              Is that a typo? "pt" are used for print sizes - you should use "px" to declare a fixed font size on screen.

Bikster

Comment

Sheila or a bloke, makes no odds to me:

Try:

H1, H2, H4, H5, H6 {
                font-family: Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,"Times New Roman";
                font-size: 10px;
                color: black;
                }

You didn't close the color declaration, you declared pt not px and font names with spaces should be enclosed in quotes.

AND '10' is far too small, in all honesty im not a fan of all tags being the same size, they should scale down.

H1 {
                font-size: 130%;
                }

H2 {
                font-size: 120%;
                }

H3 {
                font-size: 110%;
                }

H4 {
                font-size: 100%;
                }

The font declaration should be done for you, no need to replicate it as should the text color. Only other you may want to change is the margin settings on them.

Comment

Hi Lee,

Job done! Nice one mate! The whole site is uploading with H1 tags right now. Here is one of the first new product pages to be loaded:

http://www.inspirationsounds.co.uk/a.../ambiosis.html

You are a superstar! I think I might just be leaving h-2 to h-6 tags for a rainy day. This is a good start! But I just wanna say thank you, that is so brilliant of you to be so helpful. I am really quite amazed at how helpful you have been. Thank you!

Best wishes,

Jan (i-Sounds)

Comment

My pleasure HTH.

When you are feeling brave next time, take the <strong> tag away too, it will give you cleaner code and it's doing nothing for you but bloating the code.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                      You didn't close the color declaration
                      Where is my Pedant's Hat? Here it is ..... as the color was the last line in the class there is no need to close it with the semi-colon ... although it is always good practice in case you need to append another declaration later.

<puts hat back in cupboard and leaves to get a life>

Bikster

Comment

Hi Lee,

I am just removing the <strong> tag and it's closed tag now. The only issue left is to try to work out how to remove the gap that has appeared between the product name and the price! Sorry to be a pain, but is this down to the margins issue you mentioned? Thanks again for the best support.

Best wishes,

Jan (i-Sounds)

Comment

Originally posted by jont
                          Where is my Pedant's Hat? Here it is ..... as the color was the last line in the class there is no need to close it with the semi-colon ... although it is always good practice in case you need to append another declaration later.

<puts hat back in cupboard and leaves to get a life>
                          Thanks Jont! You have also been a star! You know that pt thing was in the existing stylesheet, and with no knowledge of CSS (or html ) I would never have known. I think I closed the colon now too. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Best wishes,

Jan (i-Sounds)

Comment

It looks fine in Firefox but not in IE .. which would suggest you need to try specifically declaring one, some or both of:

line-height:
                            margin-bottom:
                            padding-bottom:

against the H1 tag

This can be done on the fly using Firefox but IE is not as developer friendly so needs doing on the desktop. Alas not able to download the file and show the actual fix at the moment - maybe Lee can show this if he is free?

Bikster

Comment

Jan:

margin-bottom: 0px;

Jont:

You pedantic git and yes i know there is no need to have 'px' included above lol. If that's the best you've got to throw at me, i think you need a new victim! Pick on George, he's a wuss of the biggest wuss variety at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                                you need a new victim! Pick on George, he's a wuss of the biggest wuss variety at the moment.
                                He is a big girls blouse - he runs off and cries for days on end - you can take it like a real man so you bounce back sooner for more abuse

Bikster

Comment

Working...
                                X