Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shipping > exclude products from Free Over!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping > exclude products from Free Over!

Hi

We use Total Weight as our calculation basis.
    We have Free Over £75.

Now we would like to sell items that cost more than £75 each but cost a lot to ship.

We can use the Total Weight to manage the addional shipping costs of course but it seems we would have to withdraw our cherished Free Over £75 offer.

Does anybody know if we can exclude some items from the 'Free Over Offer' or fudge it some other way.

Thanks

It can be done but it will never be 100% perfect. As you are going to be charging shipping on the expensive product at all times it does not matter that anything else is added to the cart as the buyer will always pay the shipping for the expensive product.

You need to apply a very heavy fake weight to the excluded products, set a new shipping band to start just under this weight and set the shipping costs accordingly. You need to add onto this weight the existing shipping model so it triggers the additional cost of buying say an exempt product and a £10.00 product. Set the excess to take the highest value in the table.

Obviously the free over £75.00 rule is not going to work so you need to put a disclaimer outlining that certain products are exempt from the free shipping and clearly mark this on the product description... or better to mark the free product group as such.

You can also play with the "ship separate" option against the exempt product .. although if buying multiples this can cause some real fun at checkout.

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Does anybody know if we can exclude some items from the 'Free Over Offer' or fudge it some other way
      V8 can do it

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
        V8 can do it
        v7 works though

Bikster

Comment

It does but V8 is far more interesting

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
            V8 is far more interesting
            You should sell that to the Marketing Dept at Actinic Towers... make a great strap line on the loading splash page

Bikster

Comment

thank you jont.

So we'll have two bands:

Band 1 > weight 0.2 to 200kgs > cost £5
              Band 2 > weight 200.01kgs plus > cost £25

All our regular items are set to weigh 0.2kgs each.
              All our expensive items are set to weigh 200kgs each.

Set excess to take highest value (ie £25).
              Set Free Over to £75

Mark the expensive items as 'Excluded from Free Shipping' in the Description.

Have I got all the bits of your proposal here?

Comment

whoops

whoops

Set Free Over to £75
                we can't set this can we as purchase of an expensive item would mean the shipping gets dropped.

the Free (shipping) Over to £75 has got to get zapped. there is no alternative unless we upgrade to v8 right?

Comment

You can't mix and match with V7, it's one or the other usually. V8 shipping is far more flexible and could easily do what you want to. I nearly posted a few hours ago that it wouldn't work the way you have it, but thought i may be putting my big size nine in and getting it wrong without testing myself - i should have more faith in what i see.

Comment

One thing i have never tried is to have the scaling costs and include a £0.00 value just under the heavy limit value, so shipping scales up - £5, £0, £25 on weight, may be worth a try to see if it works, it may go titsup though just an idea.

Comment

The solution will work but not perfectly as you are using weight to calculate a free over price. If you prices between products vary enormously you are stuffed.

If the band solution is not going to work due to varying prices of products you can use a discount in the cart to remove the shipping cost ... but this again is not 100% perfect.

Another option is to build some of the cost into the exempt product and offset this with the "free" delivery.

It can be forced to work but usually at your expense by ensuring all products work correctly with the delivery costs and discount structure. I use a very complex shipping matrix on one of my sites and have to take the rough with the smooth with regards to deliver charges ... some orders are up and some cost me a little extra ... it usually balances out even at the end of the year.

v8 shipping is a welcome improvement over v7.

Bikster

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                        One thing i have never tried is to have the scaling costs and include a £0.00 value just under the heavy limit value, so shipping scales up - £5, £0, £25 on weight, may be worth a try to see if it works, it may go titsup though just an idea.
                        That is how I set up some of my v7 tables .. but it is combining with the free over £x that still becomes the niggle in this instance.

Bikster

Comment

Thanks all - particularly Jont.

I think this may be a job for v8. The £75 free over option has to be bomb proof as it is offered by mail order too and the client wants to avoid discrepancies.

Comment

I have never seen version 7 and have only used version 8 for the past couple of months, so forgive me for butting in because I may have gone right off track here...but we have a similar problem (heavy item, which we couldn't possibly give free shipping on, even though it was over our free shipping amount) and I got around it by adding the shipping back on to the product as a 'handling charge' - which we clearly stated on the product description.

May be not the best solution, but is it something that you could do in version 7?

Comment

thanks for your input. i think v7 only allows me to set a global handling charge - for all items - not for a specific item (i'd be happy for somebody to tell me otherwise though).

Comment

Working...
                              X