Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Website up & Running - At Long Last!

PLEASE NOTE:
    I STARTED A NEW THREAD AS THE LAST THREAD PEOPLE WERE POSTING WITH THE URL BEING NOW CAUGHT ON GOOGLE!! PLEASE DO NOT POST THE URL IN ANY OF YOUR POSTS FOR THIS THREAD!..

At looooooooooong last have got the website up and running, and would really appreciate your thoughts on the site.

Before making your judgement please bear these thoughts in mind!

Up until the MD decided on an e-commerce website for online ordering, I had never attempted this type of thing before, and had never even heard of Actinic software, let alone used it, it was only an advert in a mag that got me to visit the site and download the trial version.

The only help I have had on the site has been from this forum (so thank you so much guys for all your help I seriously would not of been able to do it without your help! And therefore want to take this opportunity to say thank you to everyone who has helped me - just to name a few, pinbrook, Norman, Ruralweb, jont, duncan, fergus, peblaco, and Lee.

The site design has been created, in order to work co-incide with our stock system, as we have a bespoke stock system written by a freelance designer, we got him to write a Visual basic routine to export the data from the access database which allows me to import directly into Actinic.

We use Secure Hosting as our Payment Service Provider, again i was stuck in using these as we use Barclays Bank.

In designing the site, I have had a lot of restrictions placed upon me in terms of how the MD wants the site to look, in retrospect of how it can work together with our stock system.

Site has been up for 2-3 days now, running live.

I have to say (god, i've waffled on), I really am v.happy with the site i've designed, i think it looks pretty good, sorry I have to give myself a pat on the back, as I have had no positive response from work colleagues! Yes take pity on me please, haha.

So guys what are your thoughts on the site??

And please ........... Go easy with me!

PLEASE DO NOT POST THE URL IN ANY OF YOUR POSTS FOR THIS THREAD
    Gav - your url is in your signature at the bottom of your post - THIS IS THE SITE I BUILT

Comment

That's what I was thinking. If the link is there Google will pick it up. It doesn't matter what the anchor text is.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Bloody hell Gav you numpty.
        You have it in your profile if you don't want it picking up.
        Sigs are always picked up.

PS - don't get blaming us to your boss lol

Comment

comedy++

thanks gav.

Comment

this Is The Site I Built
            This Is The Plonker I Am

Comment

Google will find your site even if there are no links to it - why dont you want G to find it - dont you want any customers

Comment

Someone told me on here, that SE's cannot pick up links on the sigs...

hmmm.... someone telling me a porky!

Google was acutally picking up the link for the site from when someone posted the URL on their post..

Of course want orders - what sorta question is that!? LOL.

I just dont want it when you type the name of the company that one of the rankings is a link to the actinic community forum, thats all.

Comment

Someone told me on here, that SE's cannot pick up links on the sigs
                  NO - they said if you want G to index your site then put your url in your signature

Comment

I just dont want it when you type the name of the company that one of the rankings is a link to the actinic community forum
                    I cannot see any g links but what I can see is a link to a broken .com site of yours

Comment

To be honest Gavin, I was scratching me head at your earlier thread when you were requesting no-one post the link.
                      Is it on a development domain or something that you do not want people visting?

Do you have a reason for not wanting G or MSN etc visting or is it higher up?

Reminds me of a Newspaper Group Managing Director I once was pitching a web advertising system proposal to. After giving him the brief on how internet advertising could supplement their existing sales channels he asked.....
                      "How do we stop people linking to our websites?"

*sound of jaw hitting floor*
                      *shakes head*
                      Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
                      Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
                      SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Originally posted by GAViN™©
                        I just dont want it when you type the name of the company that one of the rankings is a link to the actinic community forum, thats all.
                        Hint: Change the link text in your sig then *nudge nudge*
                        Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
                        Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
                        SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Gavin asked me to remove a link to his site too...

I had intentionally only typed the link in as domain.co.uk as this doesn't create a hyperlink, but i removed it as requested anyway

this is how i always post URLs to help with them not gettings linked to from this forum as it is disturbing to have your site come up in SERPS as a link from here

But yes as Fergus says remove the link in your sig.

Comment

Gavin - welcome to the wonderful world of Google. You are going to have to take on board that you cannot control what is happening - others will eventually start to link to your site without you knowing and you will not be able to stop them. This forum is an excellent place to have a link to your site, especially if it contains your keywords - dont fight it because you will loose.

If you thought building the site was the hard bit then forget it -

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
                              Gavin - welcome to the wonderful world of Google. You are going to have to take on board that you cannot control what is happening - others will eventually start to link to your site without you knowing and you will not be able to stop them. This forum is an excellent place to have a link to your site, especially if it contains your keywords - dont fight it because you will loose.

If you thought building the site was the hard bit then forget it -
                              Yeah I understand that, and of course I realise cannot control it. If you put the name of the company i work for into google you get links from other forums from people posting where to get specific products from - its all good of course.

I just didnt want links on google linking to posts on this forum where i was asking questions about designing the site, i just dont think that looks professional in my opinion.

In the meantime, i will leave the link in my sig, but just would appreciate it if people dont put the complete web url in their posts when they are referring to anything to do with the site.

Comment

Working...
                              X