FTP gone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTP gone!

I am suddenly unable to upload my actinic store or download orders.

When attempting to download orders I get "The system cannot find the file specified"

When attempting to upload the site, when it gets to the "Reviewing Files" section I get the prompt: "Unable to connect to the FTP server "(my ftp address)". The computer is disconnected from the network"

I have tried repairing the database to no avail & can only assume it is an FTP error with my hosting company's FTP (Fasthosts) they have been having a few problems lately.

I have suspended orders via a manual FTP permissions settings until the problem is resolved. But am having problems trying to contact my hosts phoneline.

Any other ideas on possible diagnostics & how to fix would be much appreciated as with Xmas coming we are in our critical trading period at the moment.

Does anyone know how easy it is to get a backup web host for these scenarios?
    www.calmncomfy.co.uk : Improving well being and enjoyment of life - Naturally

Originally posted by calmncomfy
    ...having problems trying to contact my hosts phoneline.

Any other ideas on possible diagnostics & how to fix would be much appreciated as with Xmas coming we are in our critical trading period at the moment.

Does anyone know how easy it is to get a backup web host for these scenarios?
    If you have Actinic cover then I think it's a service they offer. Otherwise contact one of the resellers here on the forum such as Pinbrook or others.

From Actinic's site:
    http://www.actinic.co.uk/products/cover.htm
    Emergency Hosting Provision
    Should your existing service provider go out of commission or your site experience poor service levels you will be entitled to 60 days free Actinic hosting. This ensures that your online store remains open whilst you find a new service provider.

Comment

Thanks

In the meantime, does anyone know if it is possible to manually FTP website updates to the server & download orders into Actinic manually.

If so we may be able to trade today.

Comment

No that isn't possible unfortunately.

Let's look a little deeper though into what your problem is.

1. I gather your site was working fine then suddenly you can no longer download orders.
        2. You can manually ftp to the site.

If you can manually ftp to your site with an ftp client then Actinic should also work.

So, if the above are both true then for starters:

A. Run a network test initially and check the errors and post them here.
        B. If it does report errors then export your network settings (remove passwords and usernames) and post them here.
        C. Use your ftp client to check the folder permissions on the cg-bin and acatlog folders on your server.

Comment

Fasthosts were in the news 3 days ago because they were forced to change many users FTP passwords because of fears that their security had been compromised. You may be affected by this. See http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...t_hack_update/ for a report about this.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks

I changed my passwords months ago when Fasthosts first found out about the security breach.

I have attached gif files of the Actinic network test dialog box & Actinic network settings.

The CGI Permissions on the server are 701
            I cant work out how to find the permissions on my own PC for the Acatalog files.

As a further point I was having problems with a symantec file called AppSvc32.exe & attempted a fix on the Symantec website, it said I needed to use IE to do the fix but I normally use Firefox as IE has too many problems. On trying this a dialog box came up to manually connect to Broadband which sometimes appears & I always disconnect it wiithout a problem.

The fix page appeared to freeze & since then I have had the problem with FTP with Actinic. However, i can still use the internet & email with no problems.
            Attached Files

Comment

The CGI Permissions on the server are 701
              This is below the recommended level, are you saying this level has worked before or this is what you have now? You also do not set permissions of your PC, the permissions are for on your server so actinic can work correctly.

When your hosting comes up for renewal, do yourself a favour and move off fasthosts when using actinic. Bar none, Fasthosts have created the most problems over the years when using actinic, in fact i have only ever heard of one person using them successfully.

90% of all problems online involve one or more of the below factors IMO:
              1. Fasthosts
              2. Norton
              3. AOL

Comment

& The Acatalog files permissions are 777

Comment

& The Acatalog files permissions are 777
                  Which is fine, so just the cgi-bin to correct so the basics are right. Need to be at 755.

Comment

Have changed that but problem still unchanged

Comment

Colin

May i suggest you login to fast hosts, create a new ftp account, use this information in actinic, change all you cgi permissions to 777 on acatalog and cgi bin, once you get a successfull upload actinic will change the permissions of the cgi bin back.

Also turn off your firewall, i avoid all software firewalls because they cause nothing but problems, get youself a decent router with firewall built in. Im not saying never use a software one but lets say Norton has this habbit of killing things and you may need to unistall it completely.

Question can you ftp using another program? if so norton or windows may be blocking actinic.

D

Comment

I have successfully FTP'ed using Leach but when I try with Actinic it gets nowhere.

I tried turning off Norton & that didn't work, Windows firewall is already disabled

Comment

I still think it's possibly Norton. Can you totally disable it and then reboot so it doesn't get loaded on startup to test.

I don't use Norton but presumably it's possible to configure exclusiuons and specfic program access?

Comment

Duncan it is but i would uninstall it, i has been known to do what it likes even when you tell it not to

I hate these programs

D

Comment

As you both thought, Norton is the culprit.

I have made a manual configuration to it & it's all systems go again. Thanks for your time chaps.

Comment

Working...
                              X