Please Please Help Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Please Help Me

Hi I am new to Actinic, I have version 7 which is used to support my website www.balloonandpartyshop.co.uk This website was designed by Graphic Global.

Is it correct that I can not add any sub sections or remove any sections? Graphic Global have advised me that I have to pay them to add any new sections or remove any

They are telling me that my website can not be upgraded to version 9 so it would mean having a whole new website designed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated before it costs me £2000.00

I'm no expert on v7 so can't advise on sections etc - although it sounds as if you have a client version of the software to me, in which case, you are limited in what you can do with it.

As far as upgrading is concerned, from what I read, it is extremely difficult to upgrade from 7 to 9. It is best, it appears, to start afresh within v9.

Why not download a trial version of the software and have a go yourself? I'm not wanting to do any designers out of work, of course
    Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Originally posted by guccij View Post
      I'm no expert on v7 so can't advise on sections etc - although it sounds as if you have a client version of the software to me, in which case, you are limited in what you can do with it.

As far as upgrading is concerned, from what I read, it is extremely difficult to upgrade from 7 to 9. It is best, it appears, to start afresh within v9.

Why not download a trial version of the software and have a go yourself? I'm not wanting to do any designers out of work, of course
      Thank you for this. I will do that. I have designed websites before so hopefully this wont be as painful as spending money for someone else to do it

Comment

Originally posted by balloonandparty View Post
        Hi I am new to Actinic, I have version 7 which is used to support my website www.balloonandpartyshop.co.uk This website was designed by Graphic Global.

Is it correct that I can not add any sub sections or remove any sections? Graphic Global have advised me that I have to pay them to add any new sections or remove any

They are telling me that my website can not be upgraded to version 9 so it would mean having a whole new website designed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated before it costs me £2000.00
        I do not have much experience with V7, current opinion seems to be go for a redesign rather than upgrade, but 2000 buys a lot of website, why not try http://www.actlance.co.uk/, post a project there and see what quotes you get, this is a commercial world after all.

... and yes I do have a vested interest as a designer

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
        SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
        Custom Packages

Comment

Originally posted by balloonandparty View Post
          a whole new website designed.
          Looks he has subconsciously decided already lol.

V7 didn't have a client version as I recall, i though that started in V8. As for not being able to add or remove sections, that sounds like a right load of crap too. Have you actually tried to add or remove one? what happens when you try?

If you went V9 a redesign is the best option.

Comment

When I tried to create a new section it appears in the software but does not show on the website !!

Comment

Can you provide a screenshot of it setup, it must be set to hide or not be included or something, i can't see how it could not appear unless told not to, if you are allowed to create it in the first place.

Comment

I take it you have updated the site by clicking the upward arrow?

Comment

Click 'refresh' on your browser too, might be a cached page problem only.

Comment

yep have updated site, have refreshed browser = Nothing

Comment

Screenshots then please. Check it shows in the sitemap too and compare it to one that does show to confirm settings all the same.

Comment

Most likely they have hard coded the section navigation links into the HTML content.
                        Quite common back in the day, especially getting round the cgi-bin menu links.
                        In V7 there are HTML files controlling layout, and most likely one of these will have to be changed to reflect the added section - hence their statement about not being able to change anything....
                        Not a good position to be in though!

Your options:
                        1. Learn a bit more about the HTML construct of your custom V7 site so you can add/edit sections yourself
                        2. Ask someone to do this for you; preferably an Actinic designer with V7 skills
                        3. Upgrade and get a new design - there are plenty of options out there to get a new looking website in V9
                        Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
                        Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
                        SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Working...
                        X