Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to complete Network Settings

Hi Folks,

It looks like I'm having a problem with my online store. I'm running version 7.07.0.0.0.HCFA.

I haven't made any changes since I transfered the site over to my new server a few weeks ago. At that time I got everything up and running and tested.

Now I'm not able to download any orders. I'm getting the following error message:
    Actinic received an request forbidden error from the web server. The server is not properly configured to allow Actinic to run CGI scripts from the cgi-bin. Run Web | Configure Web Site Details... to review your web site configuration.
    When trying to configure new network settings, I am able to input my ftp details and then website address, but then get the following error:
    The wizard received an error while verifying the web server. Error sending request
    I'm not sure how to resolve this. I'm wondering if this is something to do with file permissions? I've just taken a look at the folders via ftp and every folder on my server now shows xxx instead of numbers, and blue boxes where ticks used to be!

Any advise on how to proceed would be very welcome.

Many thanks,

Myles
    www.magicalwonders.com

I'm not sure how to resolve this. I'm wondering if this is something to do with file permissions? I've just taken a look at the folders via ftp and every folder on my server now shows xxx instead of numbers, and blue boxes where ticks used to be!
    Ask your host to confirm acatalog folder is 777, and the cgi-bin is 755 then try the NS test again

OR use your ftp client to reset the folders to the above.

Comment

Hello Jo,

I've reset the file permissions by ftp and am getting the same error failure when running New network settings.

The file permissions on the folders have reverted to xxx to it's all a bit strange. I'm waiting to hear back from my host. None of my Actinic files have been changed by me since it was last working, so I'm guessing this is a hosting issue of some sort!
      www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Just a quick update. I've sorted out the viewing of the file permissions issue, so I can now see the numbers.

The cgi-bin is set at 755 and actalog at 777. I've run a network settings test and am getting the following error:

Forbidden
        You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/cp000001.pl on this server.
        So it does seem to be a permissions issue, but not sure what else I can do. Is there anything else I need to look at?
        www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

post your network settings here, if your running the network wizard then your are changing something? but you said your not

(the xxx in the ftp permissions means that not all the files selected have the same permission)

Comment

Hi Darren,

I've uploaded a jpeg of my Network settings. This hasn't changed since moving Actinic to my new server. I'm unable to run the wizard as I keep getting a forbidden error.

All I'm getting from my hosting support at the moment is
            Let us know the exact steps to replicate the issue at our end.
            Not exactly promising.

Not sure if I should try a fresh install of the software. My permissions on the server are O.K. so not sure what else might be wrong.
            Attached Files
            www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Just had an idea. I still have another hosting account with sites on a different server.

I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to try uploading actinic onto a different domain, just to see if it can function when loaded onto a different server. If it can, then it will point to a problem with my current server. If it fails, then it's probably my software has a problem.

Does this sound like a good idea?
              www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Hooray, I'm back in business.

Woke up this morning to a message from my host saying they could find no problems with my server. Tried Network settings one more time and it passed!

Actinic Mail Test completed successfully
                server: passed
                connection: passed
                sockets: passed
                communications: passed
                authorisation: passed

Whatever the problem was it seems to have been taken care of by rebooting!

When I first realised I had a problem I also discovered that my ftp with filezilla wasn't working. The host corrected that issue, but it didn't help with my Actinic software which continued to fail network test. It didn't occur to me that a reboot may be required.

Anyway it seems to be all working now. Phew.
                www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

I spoke too soon. It looks like the problem I have is intermittent.

I've been testing the Network settings throughout the day, and have also been looking at Version 9 and testing with that as well. They both work fine for several hours, then fail. However, even during failure, the test email still makes it through.

The website is affected on the completion of the transaction. It fails to bounce back to the catalog index page and "returns a page not found"

My Network settings are as follows:
                  Catalog url: http://www.magicalwonders.com/acatalog/
                  CGI-BIN url: http://www.magicalwonders.com/cgi-bin/
                  codebase: ./
                  Path from CGI-BIN to acatalog Directory: ../acatalog/
                  Website URL: http://www.magicalwonders.com/
                  Path to Perl Shell: /usr/bin/perl
                  Server host: www.magicalwonders.com
                  Username: magicalw
                  Password: xxxxxxxx
                  Path to CGI-BIN:
                  Path from CGI-BIN to acatalog directory as viewed by FTP server: /public_html/acatalog/
                  SMTP server: mail.magicalwonders.com
                  Username: sales@magicalwonders.com
                  Password: xxxxxxxx

Not getting much joy from the host, who just refers me back to Actinic. No doubt if this version was still supported by Actinic, ( I don't think it is, is it?)they would refer me back to the host!

It looks like I may have to find another reseller account. Unless anyone has any ideas I could try first?
                  www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Originally posted by magicalwonders View Post
                    Just had an idea. I still have another hosting account with sites on a different server.

I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to try uploading actinic onto a different domain, just to see if it can function when loaded onto a different server. If it can, then it will point to a problem with my current server. If it fails, then it's probably my software has a problem.

Does this sound like a good idea?
                    This would be a good test to do.
                    It certainly sounds like a hosting issue.

Comment

Hi Duncan,

Yes, I'm fairly confident it's a server issue. On reflection I won't need to try it out on my other server as that is where the catalog was previously, and it worked fine. There have been no script changes since then.

I only transferred because I was having problems with cron jobs. The host had changed path to cgi-bin but didn't tell anyone! The support totally collapsed and the whole thing became a nightmare.

I'm looking at several hosts now. I'm sure I'll find one that is stable for Actinic.
                      www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Working...
                      X