Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An error occurred while merging files on the remote site

I've been working on a v7 website.

I built the site on one computer, and all was working fine. When I was ready to do the final testing on the site I made a snapshot of the site. On the computer that the site will be maintained from, I created a new site, imported the snapshot to that computer, replacing the sample site that Actinic gives you. All seemed well.

THEN...

I made a couple of small revisions to the site and attempted to upload from the new computer - it wouldn't work. I got an error when attempting to merge files on the server.

Our webhost checked a couple of things, made the .pl files executable and now I have a new error:

An error occurred while merging files on the remote site. Bad Catalog username or password. Check your Housekeeping | Security settings, and try again. If that fails, try refreshing the website.

I looked at the Housekeeping | Security settings, but I have no idea what they looked like before the error... so that really didn't do me any good.

I deleted the acatalog directory on the server, then attempted to reupload using Actinic, thinking that there might be some conflict since I am now using a different computer, still, it isn't working.

Please Help! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - we'd like to get the new and improved version of our site up and running as soon as possible.

Thanks a bunch!

What does a network test report? Did you recreate the acatalog folder? Why did you delete it anyway, you only needed to do what the error message said to do - "If that fails, try refreshing the website"

Comment

I had tried refreshing the website multiple times, nothing seemed to help. So, since this is just the test site, I thought I would attempt to 'start fresh' and see if things would work with a clean slate so to speak.

Network test says that everything passed, no problems listed in the report.

Comment

Increment the script number by 1 or do a website purge and refresh from the troubleshooting menu are 2 common things to try. It will most likely have just been confused as an upload occurring from 2 different places. A website refresh would have normally fixed this. Make sure the database is compacted too.

Comment

Thanks for the advice! I'll try your suggestions and hopefully tomorrow we'll be up and running.

Comment

The merge error was quite prevalent in v7 and often benign. Is the site working properly after a merge error upload? I used to get this a lot in v7 and it never affected one thing.

Bikster
            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Changing the CGI script number worked, thanks a bunch Lee!

Jont, the site wasn't updating at all.

Comment

Working...
              X