Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CGI Timeout error

Hi,

I think I already know the answer to this question but I'll ask it anyway to humour Fasthosts. When I go through the checkout stage of an order I get to the page where it says "How did you find our site?" etc. When I click on submit to take me to the shared SSL page I get the error message: CGI Timeout, The specified CGI application exceeded the allowed time for processing. The server has deleted the process.

I called Fasthosts (yeah, I know!) and they said that the timeout is set to 10 seconds (which seems low to me) and that the problem is with the script. I pointed out that this script has been running for a year without this problem but they still wouldn't have it and suggested I contact Actinic. The site is on a Windows server (this was all set up before I started developing the site).

I think the timeout of 10 seconds is too low and that the issue rests with Fasthosts. Ideally what should the timeout be set to? I'm getting a bit fed up with Fasthosts and am looking at moving the site but need to have some feedback before I recommend this course of action to my client. The site is at www.wellieboots.com if anyone wants to see for themselves.

Cheers
    Chris
    <a href="http://www.wellieboots.com">www.wellieboots.com</a>

We were talking with a customer on a Fasthosts Windows server (with IIS6) the other day, and they said that the limit was on 15 seconds and that Fasthosts could not change it.

Actinic really needs more than that for larger shopping carts. We normally recommend 60 (although Actinic rarely approaches that sort of level).

I recommend you ask Fasthosts to move you onto their (more reliable) Unix hosting as Actinic generally has much more success running on those.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I've been liasing with your support over the past couple of days and have tried everything they suggested including reverting back to the original scripts but all to no avail. The strange thing is that the site stopped working sometime on Sunday evening/night because the last order received was at 6.45pm and the site hadn't been updated for a couple of weeks prior to that so something happened that suddenly stopped the checkout phase working.

I'm going to attempt to put a copy of the site onto my Hostway space and see if that works because this will tell me if Fasthosts are at fault or if it's something to do with Catalog itself. I did ask Fasthosts about moving it over to a Unix box so that's an option I'm looking into.

Cheers
      Chris
      <a href="http://www.wellieboots.com">www.wellieboots.com</a>

Comment

Working...
      X