site upgrader is @#!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

site upgrader is @#!

I've just upgraded another site using the rather alarming site upgrader, and by default it wiped out the NETQUOTEVAR:BULK statement. How crap is that?!?

I've done a number of site upgrades, and most times actinic makes some minor or major cock-up's. Admittedly I just hit the lightbulb, and don't bother going through the code. But then I am a developer, and the Siteupgrader interface freaks even me out. I just accept the defaults and fix it later.

Even accepting the defaults, the Siteupgrader coding shouldn't be so crap as to keep wiping out things like NETQUOTEVAR:BULK statements - which has happened more than once to me!

We tend to advise our clients to send us their catalog for upgrades, as the process is way too precarious for the average shop owner. It can go smoothly once in a while, but only if the site has a boring original not-messed-with template.

Can we have some better quality coding please??? pretty please??
    Nick Morecroft
    01392 434530
    <A target=_blank href ="http://www.pinbrookhosting.co.uk/">http://www.pinbrookhosting.co.uk/</A>
    hosting, search engine optimisation, design and ecommerce

I too find the site upgrader interface way too cryptic and scary.

Sure it's doing a tricky job but it is the only tool available for customers who chose Actinic for that "Easy to Use out of the box" type of marketing spiel.

Imagine their reaction if all they've ever used is that graphical Navigator interface thingy and then they're thrown into the upgrader with no way out as they're now in the middle of a partially complete upgrade.

Norman
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Why don't you guys write one, you could then sell it as an add-on to Actinic, I expect it would be popular.

[I didn't write it BTW - just in case you are wondering]

Regards,
      Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
      Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
      A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
      Product Mash for Sellerdeck
      Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
      Multichannel order processing
      Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Thanks for the (robust) feedback. I won't try and defend the current situation because it really can't be defended.

I do agree that the upgrader has a horribly complicated user interface.

We are working on a new way of designing in Actinic which will make upgrading the design similar to upgrading the database. Hopefully it will be simple and reliable, but unfortunately that won't arrive until v8. The fundamental problems with the upgrader mostly stem from complexity and inconsistency in the templates.

The idea that we're working on in the meantime is the possibility of having a paid (but low cost) service provided by Actinic for upgrading sites both on behalf of end users and partners.

Just as an aside, I'm imagine that you know that the upgrader doesn't get run (for upgrades in all recent releases) unless changes have been made to the templates.

Chris
        Actinic

Comment

[I didn't write it BTW - just in case you are wondering]
          But I think a friend of yours did

Norman
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

> But I think a friend of yours did

True :-)

Regards,
            Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
            Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
            A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
            Product Mash for Sellerdeck
            Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
            Multichannel order processing
            Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Why don't you guys write one
              Are you mad Jan!!

I wouldn't touch that idea with a 100 ft bargepole, I'd rather let Actinic mess it up rather than us!!?? They've got a bigger budget!

Comment

I'd just like to express my thanks with helping me to decide whether to upgrade my version of Actinic from V4 to V6!

However, on another thread it APPEARS that it would be relatively straightforward to install say V6, copy over the catalog mdb and then apply any template code changes to the new version. Is this correct?

If so, what would be useful would be a simple way to highlight all changes made to the original V4 templates (file compare?) and then have a list of all bugs fixed by upgrading version (e.g. is the AOL confirmation email fix fixedin V6?) and so on. I'm sure that you get the idea but is it a runner?
                Paul Codman
                <a href="http://www.snoozeshop.com/acatalog/index.html" target="_blank">www.snoozeshop.com</a>
                01394 670970

Comment

However, on another thread it APPEARS that it would be relatively straightforward to install say V6, copy over the catalog mdb and then apply any template code changes to the new version. Is this correct?
                  If you are happy to re-apply all your template changes then this is an option.

Fixes and enhancements are in the source code and not the templates, so you don't have to worry about them

Comment

... but are all the fixes in the knowledge base in the latest version? It appears that some are and some are not and it would be nice to know that having installed the latest version of V6 what additionall fixes need to be applied, in other words the latest version of V6 is V6 plus the following fixes ...etc.

I do not find it surprising that people are getting confused or do not know what to do - surely upgrading should be as straightforward as following the steps in a decision tree based on the right questions being posed and answered!
                    Paul Codman
                    <a href="http://www.snoozeshop.com/acatalog/index.html" target="_blank">www.snoozeshop.com</a>
                    01394 670970

Comment

You just need to install v6 and then apply patches up to 6.1.3

Comment

Simple upgrade route, v4 > v6 (or v5 > v6), given that the person upgrading doesn't mind losing their V4 template modifications:

1. If your new V6 CD is not V6.1.3, download the full version of V6.1.3 from www.actinicdownloads.com/v6

2. Install V6.1.3, choose: Upgrade existing V4 site.

3. If the site upgrader starts, click the light-bulb, click Save, close the site upgrader, restart Actinic.

4. When you have V6 open and running, click Design, Themes. Pick a theme different to the one you have now. This will overwrite all your current templates with nice new fully working V6 ones.

For most people, V6.1.3 is a good, fine and stable release. Only start thinking about minor hotfixes if you get very specific problems.
                        Nick Morecroft
                        01392 434530
                        <A target=_blank href ="http://www.pinbrookhosting.co.uk/">http://www.pinbrookhosting.co.uk/</A>
                        hosting, search engine optimisation, design and ecommerce

Comment

Originally posted by Snooze_Shop
                          ... but are all the fixes in the knowledge base in the latest version? It appears that some are and some are not and it would be nice to know that having installed the latest version of V6 what additionall fixes need to be applied, in other words the latest version of V6 is V6 plus the following fixes ...etc.

I do not find it surprising that people are getting confused or do not know what to do - surely upgrading should be as straightforward as following the steps in a decision tree based on the right questions being posed and answered!
                          I've upgraded twice. Yes, the interface could be better, these's just too many options to keep an eye on and a lot to take in at once. But I did not encounter any major problems and the upgrade is very worthwhile.

If you do have any niggles, a bit of help from here or a call to support should see you okay...
                          Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Working...
                          X