Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSS Integration

Hi,

I've been working on an Actinic integration into a pure CSS site, and via handcoding everything works fine - I can get the templates to do pretty much whatever I want.

However...

Client wants this setup through Developer and there seems no automated method for altering styles. Basically I have a standards-based (css) webpage template which I want to fully integrate with tables-based actinic via developer, be it as a custom theme, site, whatever. I don't fancy re-arranging all actinic templates manually, and obviously I need this layout to be saved as a site for when the site is refreshed for whatever reason.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

DB

Coincidentally - I have been working on a CSS-based Actinic design at the moment (though I still have a bit of work to do on it before it is published).

I suggest you start working with a Clean Layout as do not have too much code to strip out before you start applying your CSS.

The biggest area to remove the tables from is the 'Overall Layout template' (normally called 'Act_Primary.html') which places all the key elements in the page in the right places. It is fairly straightforward to remove the nested tables and use <divs> instead to arrange the key components.

The other area you may want to look at are the products. I removed the table tags from around NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTBULK in 'Act_ProductBody.html' and then removed the table code from all the product layout templates I wanted to use (Act_ProductLine.html etc.). I then created a <div> called 'product' which I placed all the product code within, which placed the products in one under the other. I then just used a div to float the images to the left of the product text.

I'll be releasing my CSS-design in a couple of weeks - until then I hope that gives you enough to go on.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

That's pretty much what I've been doing, although I started from the client's existing setup which has an equal share of pros and cons as does starting from scratch.

I used a standard HTML template with nested Actinic templates (Act_Primary) that would be required for each page... I'm as far as the login section. Basically users can login and browse the entire site... need to find somewhere to place the logout information though. Assuming you've tackled this bit yet, can I ask whether you hard-coded a div for "logout" into all templates, or just one? Need to get my head around where to add the code... i.e. include the logout option in all pages (because it is a hidden field) or just call its template when required? Obviously need it to repeat on all pages...

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Comment

Disregard previous post, I pretty much answered my own question. The hidden field simply required a permanent placement in the primary template, wrapped inside a <div> with the appropriate CSS markup for positioning and aesthetics.

cdickens, it occurred to me that, since we're doing the same thing, and I intend to start testing this integration in a live environment within 3 days, perhaps we could collaborate?

Why have just one CSS design? Just a thought.

Comment

Cheers for the offer. I've only got the checkout templates to edit now - but they take AGES (as I'm sure any designers reading this will empathise with )

Currently I'm only doing one simple theme to use as the foundation for a range of new designs for future versions of the software. I'll also release it here because designers may find it useful to have a starting theme which uses CSS rather than tables for the placement of key elements.

Comment

Oh I empathise entirely - I've been stuck in the middle of re-writing actinic templates for so long now that whenever I start up a new task my eyelids put on an extra few grams and the yawning begins...

The design I'm rounding off is a 3 column liquid css layout with header and footer. I'll let you know when its live if you're interested.

BTW Are you putting all your styles in one linked stylesheet or in the head section of each template? I'm doing the latter, seems more logical somehow.

Comment

I'm using two different seperate stylesheets - one for store/brochure pages and one for pop-up windows.

Seems to work quite well.

Comment

Chris,

Where are you placing the main stylesheet for html pages/templates? In the SiteHTML folder?

Hmm, I'm receiving a "the css file ***** contains an invalid path"... "error generating HTML pages". Then a SRC in HTML error. Was working earlier.

All images are stored in /images/ (which works for everything else) and the CSS points to url(image1.jpg) or url(/images/image1.jpg) but neither is working. Any ideas?

Comment

I have put a link to my work in progress in this thread (note - you have to access to the Developers forum to read it - I've joined you already Dybbuk).

The css files should be in the main site folder i.e. Site1.

Comment

Thanks for this Chris, I'll have a good look over everything.

Cheers.

Comment

Developers only?

Is there anywhere else to view this CSS only template? We don't have a developer subscription but we are resellers of Actinic Products.

Will the source code be release to developers only? If so will there be any updates to the Advanced User Guide to help new users get to grips with Actinic Templates & CSS integration.

Thanks

Comment

The easiest thing to do is just join you to the forum - which I have done.

There are no AUG updates as such. Hopefully the templates in the theme will be enough to point you in the right direction.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks Chris,

I'll get stuck in to the source code now.

Andy

Comment

Has CSS Actinic site been completed?

Hi,

I've read this pure CSS thread with interest, up to the point where the conversation seems to have 'moved' to the Developer forum [URL=http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=8696].

Since I'm not a registered Developer I can't gain access to this forum and I was wondering if all C Dicken's hard work in producing pure tableless CSS Actinic templates has been completed?

I'm strongly considering purchasing Developer to produce a client's site if I know I can get my hands on these templates (I code to CSS/XHTML standards when ever I can).

Can anyone tell me if the templates are as yet available to download from the Developer forum?

Thanks in advance,
                            Tony.

Comment

Tony

I have joined you to the forum, as it sounds like although you don't own Developer, you have every right to be there. There is no CSS theme completed. I am planning to write these for a future release - but probably not before then.

Comment

Working...
                              X