Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duplicate Products, Integrated Extended Info Pages & The Back Button

Hi,

I've just implemented a change to our website which integrates the extended info page within our main website design without the need to use a popup.

Problem...

I'm using a link which when on the Extended Info page returns the customer to the last product viewed within the section when clicking Back.

Unfortunately there are some instances where the Back will not work and this appears to be when duplicate products are involved.

For an example of what I mean have a look at...http://www.enjoymuzic.com/acatalog/p...pilations.html
    click on More Info... on any product then try the Back button.

Firstly when you click on the More Info... Button you can see by the breadcrumb bar that we've been redirected to the category which holds the duplicate products (why - I don't know!).

Then clicking Back doesn't work.

Aside from the problem that customer's are being redirected to the duplicate products; even if you navigate directly to a duplicate product you get the same problem.

I gather that there are probably 2 separate problems at work here.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to sort this out?

Thanks for any help.

David

Have a look at your Products and their Duplicates and see what filenames they are using for the popup pages. It's possible that they're using the same filename and the last one to be processed is overwriting an earlier one.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel
      Have a look at your Products and their Duplicates and see what filenames they are using for the popup pages. It's possible that they're using the same filename and the last one to be processed is overwriting an earlier one.
      Thanks Norman, I'll check that first thing tomorrow. If that is the case and I correct the extended info page names is it likely that the back button will work or is the code I'm using not duplicates friendly?

David

Comment

is the code I'm using not duplicates friendly?
        Sorry, I've no idea. You've not posted any.

Also note that you can configure what happens in Duplicates via Settings / Duplicate Fileds COnfiguration.

Comment

Also note that you can configure what happens in Duplicates via Settings / Duplicate Fileds COnfiguration.
          Hi,

Thanks for the tip - that's more than likely saved me a lot of time tomorrow.

Sorry I forgot to post the Back button code I'm using ...
          <a href="http://www.enjoymuzic.com/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?PRODREF=ENJ172MS&NOLOGIN=1" TARGET="_self">Back</a>

David

Comment

PRODREF=ENJ172MS
            That looks like generated code. What is in your Layout?

Comment

That looks like generated code. What is in your Layout?
              Hi, Sorry I'm not at the Actinic computer until the morning but I think this is the code I used...

<a href="<actinic:variable name="SearchCGIURL" />?PRODREF=<actinic:variable name="ProductID" />&NOLOGIN=1" TARGET="_self">Back</a>

Thanks again

David

Comment

?PRODREF=<actinic:variable name="ProductID" />
                ProductID will include the duplicate sequence code. I.e. product with ID ABC will have an ID of 1!ABC on the 1st duplicate.

However I see some possible problems. Products can have characters like = and & in their references. This would lead to some products breaking the code.

E.g. ref A=23&XY will generate faulty code like:

?PRODREF=A=23&XY

It might be necessary to escape this text.

Code:
                ?PRODREF=<actinic:block php="true">echo urlencode('<actinic:variable name="ProductID" encoding="perl" selectable="false" />');</actinic:block>

Comment

Don't know if this will help you - this is what we use on our extended pages (which show within the inner layour rather than as a popup)

Code:
                  <a href="<actinic:variable name="SectionPageName" />#<actinic:variable name="EncodedProductAnchor" />">Back to Product</a>
                  Kind Regards
                  Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Hi,

I've been into duplicate fields configuration and made the necessary changes. Is there any way I can force Actinic to generate new page names for all of my duplicated products or does this have to be done manually?

Thanks

David

Comment

Originally posted by DavidAM
                      Hi,

I've been into duplicate fields configuration and made the necessary changes. Is there any way I can force Actinic to generate new page names for all of my duplicated products or does this have to be done manually?

Thanks

David
                      Oh - Actinic has done this automatically!

Thanks for everyones help with this.

Cheers

David

Comment

Working...
                      X