Surcharges for CC's but not DC's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Advice would be DO NOT DO IT.

There is nothing more off putting IMO than surcharges for handling cards. Customers will leave you site if you do.

However you are in the right area of the software. If it's not working for you have a look at the inbuilt help "How Do I?" at the bottom right of the "Discounts and Surcharges" window.

Army Gore-tex
    Winter Climbing Mitts
    webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
    Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
      I think it's illegal to do so, this was discussed recently on here IIRC, try a search to find the thread. Short of it, pretty sure it's not legal to do so and why would you want to also, what a put off in almost all circumstances.
      I don't think it's illegal Lee, but a sure fire way IMO to piss people off.

Edit: Not in the UK anyway

Army Gore-tex
      Winter Climbing Mitts
      webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
      Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Originally posted by webD View Post
        I don't think it's illegal Lee, but a sure fire way IMO to piss people off.
        I thought it was against the law tbh, i could well be wrong though, Steve seems to agree lower down.

Comment

Originally posted by Exmed View Post
          Hi, How do i put a Surcharge for Credit Cards on to this version, as i am struggling to get it to work.

I have already used Discounts and surcharge section and not worked!

Please can anyone give me some help!!!!

Thanks
          It is not against the law but (a) could be against your terms an conditions of the merchant provider and (b) as suggest may get folks upset and they will not finalise the purchase.

Example of both, budget airlines but with the cheap airfares you do tend to complete the sale.

As to the technical sides of "how to" it is a doddle, split the provider by duplicating the payment processor files in Actinic (you'll find a detailed description in my older posts from about three years back) and then restrict in Discounts and Surcharges under the Marketing section, using Order Level with a trigger of €x.xx to the payment method you desire to levy. For 9/10 transactions that will work until some smart cookie works out that if they choose the debit card options (probably why you are doing this) to avoid a surcharge and then use a credit card at the third-party provider they can circumvent your logic, however you can ask your merchant provider for a duplicate install and restrict the cards accepted by that account as is applicable and update the merchant number in 'settings' of the payment options in Business options.

If you are stuck, come back to me and probably best to PM me to alert me...

Comment

I use Actinic Payments and would like to restrict a trade/account customers to only pay by debit card. To do this I would like to create a duplicate AP PSP in the payment method tab of Business Settings | Payment & Security so that instead of the 'Website Description' being 'Credit / Debit Card' it just says 'Debit Card' rather than making a credit card surcharge.
            I realise that the customer could technically still use a credit card once he has reached the Actinic Payments payment area, but this is not a problem.

David, I have looked back over your old posts and read post #13 above but couldn't find any that give details on which files to copy to split/duplicate a PSP, although did find several that discussed the general idea.

I do have an old account with PSP 'NoChex' I could use instead for the extra Trade/Account customer but would prefer to use AP if possible.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
            Darren Guppy
            Golf Tee Warehouse
            Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

I can see the use of this for the opposite reason i.e. to encourage the use of debit cards. I'd happily discount large purchases if made by debit card (fixed cost of 34p) rather than credit card (2.x percent charge).

Comment

Again by forceing them to use debit cards you are also forceing them to loose their safety net using the credit card acts, many companies use their own personel cards for purchasing

Not sure if the company credit card is treated the same as a personal one regarding the credit card companies responsibilities for defective or missing goods etc
                Chris Ashdown

Comment

The airlines don't do it in a fair way as they surcharge debit cards as well.

A better example is HM Government's DVLA - taxing your car online is surcharged £2.50 for using a credit card.
                  Paul
                  Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Its a shame this isn't sorted.

I would like to have a separate Credit card surcharge for large expensive orders, but if I can only do it by applying it to debit cards I am loathe to do so.

Does anyone have any more info on this. Actinic says splitting it into Debit / Credit is on the "wish list" but any idea of reality or ETA?

Comment

Why not do What Chris suggested in post #2? Set up 2 payment methods and call one 'Credit Cards' and the other 'Debit Cards'. You can then set a different surcharge on each one.

You might find some customers choosing 'Debit cards' but then using a Credit Card at the PSP. If this is a problem you'd need to setup two PSP accounts and limit the payment types that each one accepts.

Mike
                      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I don't think you can set up two entries for the same PSP in Actinic. Once you've added it it is removed from the slection list.

Comment

I believe it can be done. See this thread.

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=40643

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Working...
                          X