overnight server timeout during upload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

overnight server timeout during upload

I have recently moved to a new PC on Vista Home Premium, with the hope of uploading a great many digital download files in one go over a number of days. I'm not overly computer savvy I'm afraid, but every time I come in in the morning the computer has stopped with an "FTP error occurred" message, either a timeout or "a connection to the server could not be established" message.

The upload seems to work fine for a number of hours during the day and then (normally when I'm not there to do anything about it) the server connection drops, halting the upload and turning an already long job into an endlessly tortuous one. I should also say that when I get in in the morning, the internet connection is down too - is this a server problem, a firewall problem, an actinic settings problem or is my computer just going out of its way to ruin my life?

I've been refreshing the site with the 'exclude unchanged digital download files and images' box checked. When the refresh hits the 'sending base files' I get an "FTP error changing directories to /customer/chemikal" message which, after I click retry, becomes...
    "An FTP error occurred. Error: The connection with the server was terminated abnormally". Clicking retry again resumes the refresh which then seems to continue as normal.

I should also mention that my Network Test seems to work fine apart from a message that says...

"If you have never uploaded your catalog to the web site, try a 'CGI Script ID Number' of 2. If you have already uploaded your catalog at least once, ignore this message."

I've chosen to click OK and ignore the script id change, resulting in a successful network test.

Help appreciated and apologies for the rambling nature of the query...

You don't happen to have any 'Power Saving' options enabled on your PC do you? This would cause the PC to shut down when not being used (i.e. no user activity) and stop any programs that were running.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

In your network settings do you have the boxes ticked for "ignore passive transfer errors" and "use enhanced FTP"?

You can also adjust the time out settings under "FTP options" this may work depending on the cause of the problem.

Some FTP errors and especially time outs are due to your ISP and/or your hosts particularly at busy times of the day if a lot of traffic is passing through their servers... which is essentially out of your control other than either changing providers or scheduling uploads at quieter times of the day.

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Some people use my stock control mole to get around this thing, if you get an FTP timeout overnight, Actinic will put a box up asking you to retry or cancel, this product will click on the retry for you, to try to keep the upload going.

There is a free trial and more information available at this URL :

http://www.mole-end.biz/acatalog/One...r-Actinic.html

Regards,
        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
        Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
        A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
        Product Mash for Sellerdeck
        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
        Multichannel order processing
        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Working...
        X