webfusion & CGI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Log Files

Wheb you click on the add to cart button on the site it generates the following in the log file

www.wightcycle.co.uk 86.158.1.59 - 2007-11-25 10:46:33 POST /cgi-bin/ca000001.pl - 500 400

So it appears it is trying to run a script but can't.

I have logged an additional support call with webfusion and see what they say.

Comment

Sounds permission related to me, it has to be something you are not doing or have done incorrectly causing this as there are too many sites using webfusion sucessfully. Do you have dreamweaver? if so go to your server and right click on the folders and see what the permissions say.

Unless of course the cheapo package you bought just will not do this, but i can't see it personally, i've never known any webfusion package not to work, even their Windows package has been known to battle through.

In fact just wipe your server clean and start again from the beginning. What size is your snapshot, is it emailable?

Comment

Snapshot

The Snapshot is very small, so yes it can be emailed.

I don't have Dreamweaver but having checked the permissions with Cute FTP they appaer to be as they should...cgii-bin 755 acatalog 777.

There is nothing sensitive on the site and if you have the time and the inclination I'm happy to share whatever to try and resolve this.

Regards

John
        Last edited by allenjr; 25-Nov-2007, 11:35 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Feedback from Webfusion

After a week or so trying still to get this to work without success and (trying) to talk with Webfusion support. After going over all the old ground they have confirmed that the permissions are set as they should be 755 on the cgi-bin and 777 on the acatalog.

I have looked at the log files and it appears that when I try to add to cart it does find and try to run the script but fails (as described earlier in this thread).

My network settings appear unless I'm going blind (and I could be after looking at them so many times) to be correct.

So, it's not network settinfgs, webfusion tell me my permissions are correct. What elase could it be?

My other site (eatwight.co.uk) is on the same hosting package with the same settings (aside the obvious) and it works fine. The only difference is that on the www.wightcyclehire.co.uk page I have a single add to cart button per page on eatwight it's per item...can this effect the result in anyway.

I'm at the end of my page and I assume so are webfusion, they say pass it back to Actinic so if there is any more thoughts out there on this I would be glad to hear them!

Comment

cancel the package you have - you have a 30 day money back deal and then buy another.

Comment

Trying FastHost

OK..today I ordered a hosting package from FastHost (Linux Home) and I have followed both the best advice I can find on this forum and from FastHost in the setup. FastHost have enabled the perl scripting

Still however I get the same error when I try to run the ca00001.pl script...500
              when adding to the cart with a single add to cart button. fastHost placed a time.pl script in the directory and this can be executed without problem

The wizard all goes through fine and the site uploads no problems. Within network settings I still get the cgi-bin doesn't exist or you don't have permissions error message.

I have used the following settings....if there are any FastHost experts out there who can give it the once over for my sake I would be grateful.

Don't worry about the URL...this is the test one that FastHost provide before the DNS is all set up...I haven't requested the change from Webfusion just yet until I can see that it's working.

If Actinic could look at this I would be grateful...I'm using the LE version of Catalog for this site, can't imagine this has any influence however.

Thoughts welcome.

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
              HTTPPROXYADDRESS
              HTTPPROXYPORT 80
              HTTPPROXYUSER
              HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
              FTPPROXYMODE 0
              FTPPROXYADDRESS
              FTPPROXYPORT 21
              FTPPROXYUSER
              FTPPROXYPASSWORD
              SCRIPTID 1
              SCRIPTEXT .pl
              SMTPHOST
              WEBSITEURL http://domain1762565.sites.fasthosts.com
              IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
              USERELATIVECGIURLS false
              PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
              USEENHANCEFTP false
              FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 15000
              FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
              FTPSILENT false
              FTPMAXRETRIES 3
              FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 25000
              SMTPAUTHREQUIRED true
              SMTPUSERNAME
              SMTPPASSWORD
              CATALOGURL http://domain1762565.sites.fasthosts.com/acatalog/
              CGIBINURL http://domain1762565.sites.fasthosts.com/cgi-bin/
              PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/
              CODEBASE ./
              FTPHOST 213.171.193.5
              FTPUSERNAME
              FTPPASSWORD
              PATHTOCGIBIN /htdocs/cgi-bin/
              USEPASSIVEFTP false
              FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG /htdocs/acatalog/

Comment

How did you come up with fasthosts as your chosen host? they have been the most problematic actinic host bar none for years. Get rid of that idea and start again on your 3rd chosen provider. Alternatively why not contact someone to help setup your webfusion for you if you can't work it out, 100's of people (if not 1000's) use webfusion, you are the only one that i know of who has failed to get it working. Webfusion even sell and advertise actinic on their site!

Comment

and then buy another
                  I meant another webfusion package - I dont use fasthost.

Comment

you are the only one that i know of who has failed to get it working
                    As am I - I have many many sites using it including one I set up yesterday with no problems at all.

There must be something wrong at your end.

Comment

And more...

Well FastHost as I read a few threads and it seemed a good choice...obviously not!

I have other sites working on webfusion servers (as I have said earlier on in the thread)...this site used to work on webfusion before I changed the hosting package...all the sites have the same settings...I have used webfusion for 4 years ...this is the only times I have had an issue....I can't understand it...

Comment

I had the same problem but seemed to have fixed it .. but I'm not sure how or if what I have done is safe but:

The solution is to:

Set permissions on cgi-bin to 755 (it's usually this anyway)
                        Set permissions on public_html to 755

I used Ipswitch FTP to do this and the thing that seemed to make a difference was the public_html change. I also selected the tick box that said something like "include all folders and files in the directory". This is in a pop up window after you hit OK.

Perhaps someone can tell me if I have messed things up but it all seems to be working now. BTW this is on the webfusion starter linux package - the 60 quid a year one !

Comment

the thing that seemed to make a difference was the public_html
                          people often miss this as they try to upload to the root of the server and not the public_html file which is where actinic needs to go.

Comment

Actinic Catalog v6 Works without problems on same settings

Dear All,

I have now reverted back to my V6 version of Catalog LE. Changed the username and password and ftp server name to reflect the new hosting package.

I ran the test no problems, I uploaded no problems. I went to the site and added to the cart no problems.

I exported these settings from V6 into my V8 LE and ran the same tests...it fails exactly as it did before...cgi-bin does not exist or you do not have permission etc. Add to cart does not let the cgi script run.

My conclusion after 9 months...not a webfusion problem but an Actinic V8 problem...any comments!

Comment

not a webfusion problem but an Actinic V8 problem...any comments
                              Ive over 30 V8 sites working with webfusion and non of them have had any problems at all so I dont thinks its a V8 problem.

Comment

Hmmmm

Any running V8 Limited Edition....as my V8 full site works fine...eatwight.co.uk on the same hosting package.

Comment

Working...
                                X