X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok.

If the site's webspace (as far as ftp is concerned) is in

home/manvellt/htdocs

Then Actinic needs to be told that so it can put the files in the right place. This would normally be the 'path to cgi-bin' setting which i think should be:

'home/manvellt/htdocs/cgi-bin/'* rather than just '/cgi-bin/'

I would then clear the 'ftppathfromcgitoacatalog' setting as long as the 'acatalog' and 'cgi-bin' folders are sitting in the same directory. And as long as this is true the 'pathfromcgitoacatalog' should just be '../acatalog/'

If the cgi-bin isn't in the same folder as the acatalog directory then my advice would be to set one up or switch hosts. (or possibly come back here and we can work out a different set of settings).

Mike

* Assumes you have to move into the 'home' directory when you ftp in, otherwise delete the home/ bit.
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

i am afraid my friends (who site this is) have had their hosting with Guntrader, for years so it kind of came like that. I have said if i cant get it working i will have to get them some hosting.

Do you think all my paths are correct? Why would the server stop the cgi bin functions if all the permissions are ok?

thx sarah

Comment

Hi Mike, i tried what you had suggested and it came back with an error

"Unable to move to the cgi-bin directory "'home/manvellt/htdocs/cgi-bin/" on the FTP server.
        The specified directory does not exist or you do not have access to the directory."

I also tried without the /home/, without the /manvellt/ etc until i just had /cgibin/ and all results came back with the above error except just plain /cgibin/ which throws the usual cgibin error i get (see below).

I have a fairly good understanding of directories and websites and have tried so many different combinations now. I have absolutely no idea as to why when the network settings are as below;

a) the entire wizard gives me green ticks except it gets stuck on the email setup bit

b) the files seem to upload (see www.wiltsrodguns.com) but the cgibin functioning components (view cart, search etc) dont work

c) the "test" on network setup throws me and error about the cgibin. "Actinic received a server error from the web server. The CGI scripts are not executing properly on the server. The error could be caused by several things. Check:
        - the 'Path to the Perl shell'
        - the 'CGI script extension'
        - the 'Path to CGI-BIN'
        - the 'CGI-BIN URL.
        - the amount of web space left on your server
        - if your server is configured to accept POSTs to CGI scripts
        - the permissions on the server:
        etc etc "

Network settings that allow the files to be seen on the website www.wiltsrodguns.com are as follows:

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
        HTTPPROXYADDRESS
        HTTPPROXYPORT 80
        HTTPPROXYUSER
        HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
        FTPPROXYMODE 0
        FTPPROXYADDRESS
        FTPPROXYPORT 21
        FTPPROXYUSER
        FTPPROXYPASSWORD
        SCRIPTID 0
        SCRIPTEXT .pl
        SMTPHOST localhost
        WEBSITEURL http://www.wiltsrodguns.com/
        IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
        USERELATIVECGIURLS false
        PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
        USEENHANCEFTP true
        FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 15000
        FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
        FTPKEEPALIVEINTERVAL 30000
        FTPSILENT false
        FTPMAXRETRIES 3
        FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 25000
        SMTPAUTHREQUIRED false
        SMTPUSERNAME
        SMTPPASSWORD
        COMPRESSIONPACKETSIZE 1024
        COMPRESSEDUPLOAD true
        CATALOGURL http://www.wiltsrodguns.com/acatalog/
        ONLINESTOREFOLDERNAME acatalog
        CGIBINURL http://www.wiltsrodguns.com/cgi-bin/
        PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG /home/manvellt/htdocs/acatalog/
        CODEBASE ./
        FTPHOST www2.guntrader.co.uk
        FTPUSERNAME manvellt
        FTPPASSWORD xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        PATHTOCGIBIN /cgi-bin/
        USEPASSIVEFTP true
        FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../htdocs/acatalog/

Thanks Mike, this has to be something really simple as there arent even that many settings you need for Actinic to work. I have never had such problems with trying to get it to work before and have had Actinic working on the old Guntrader server a year ago before they moved servers. They assure me all permissions are the same, so it must be a setting somewhere.

regards
        Sarah

Comment

TBH I'm still struggling to understand the directory structure of the webserver.

Those network settings suggest:

1. When you ftp into the server, the cgi-bin is sitting there and you don't have to go into any sub-directories to access it. Is this correct?

2. Normally, the cgi-bin and the acatalog directories are sitting in the web home directory. These settings suggest they don't in this case? Is there a good reason for this?

The trouble is that without knowing what the directory structure is we can only try and guess from the network settings you give us and we know these are wrong somewhere.

Can you show us a simple mapping of the directory structure. It would normally be something like:

htdocs
          -acatalog
          -cgi-bin

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike, i am confused too as the email help man at Actinic told me one of my paths was incorrect and that the below paths were the correct path. These came from Actinic themseleves.

CATALOGURL http://www.wiltsrodguns.com/acatalog/
            ONLINESTOREFOLDERNAME acatalog
            CGIBINURL http://www.wiltsrodguns.com/cgi-bin/
            CODEBASE ./
            PATHTOCGIBIN /cgi-bin/
            FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../htdocs/acatalog/

This did help and now my files are on the server but the cgi bin isnt working as discussed in previous threads.

When i go to my FTP program i see this:

I ftp ftp://www2.guntrader.co.uk/ put the username and password in and get the below structuure.

-acatalog
            -cgi bin
            -htdocs -
            -acatalog
            -images ( for the rest of site appart from Actinic section)
            - other website pages / css files etc

I have tried to attach a screen shot of both the top level directoty and the htdocs level for you to see....but i seem to be having a nightmare and it wont upload the word doc on to here for me.

Now i know it is getting messy as i have two acatalog folders but when i delete the one in HTDocs to files disappear off the website. I am not sure where is the best place for the acatalog folder as it interacts with all the other website files in HTdocs, so i have just left in in the two places for now! I presume the one it is "using" is the one in HTDocs. (sorry if this sounds messy and mad to you!)

I had the acatalog files all working the other day (except the cgi bin) but since trying different network settings i have also managed to make matters worse and i cant even see the website any more either! see www.wiltsrodguns.com.

Mike, i am more than happy to give you my ftp password so you can have a look if you want to, please just give me your email if so so i can send it privately to you. I know it is something to do with the odd structure due to having to use "guntraders" server space.

thanks again for your time,
            Sarah

Comment

Hi Sarah,

I've sent you an email via the forum. This should give you my email address and I'm happy to take a look for you. We ought to be able to get this working.

Mike

Comment

Hi Sarah,

It looks to me as if this

Should just be set to ../htdocs/acatalog/

I've no idea why Actinic give you the other setting.

I'd also delete the acatalog folder that's at the same level as the cgi-bin. The one in htdocs is the one to use.

Fingers crossed.

Mike

Comment

Thank you Mike for your time, that has definately sorted out the website with regards to files now showing (bar a few images i need to sort on the homepage).

If you see www.wiltsrodguns.co.uk you will see it all looks ok but still the cgi bin functions dont work i.e view cart or search function.

I still get the dreaded cgi bin error when testing my settings and can only now presume after ruling out incorrect settings (that Actinic guy was mad with his path he gave me!!!) that it must be down to the server somehow despite all the server permissions being correct.

Unless you can think of one last ditch attempt that will get the cgi bin bits working then i guess i am going to have to get them to move to a proper hosting co.

I cant thank you enough for your time and help so far
                  regards
                  Sarah

Comment

There's something odd going on but I can't think what it might be.

The Actinic scripts are giving a 500 error but this script seems to run OK.

http://www.wiltsrodguns.com/cgi-bin/helloworld.pl

Mike

PS. The .co.uk link in your last post had me worried for a minute.

Comment

Perhaps it's some security restriction regarding the passing of parameters to the scripts.

Comment

Could be. The other things I wonder about are:

- Whether the server is set to upload files in the wrong format. This could be the case as the 'helloworld' script was probably manually uploaded.

- Whether ther server has a memory cap on script size that is preventing the Actinic scripts from running.

The difficulty is that without any support from the web host it's hard to find out or eliminate these kind of issues.

I think it's looking like time to find a host who can support problem like these (or one of the ones that are known to work with Actinic).

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike, i agree but i would be more inclined to do that when Actinic email support, who i have to been trying to get help from for over a month now, have managed to get it working on their servers. Which would suggest it was an issue on my server but they sent me it on two of their servers and the cgi bin functions were not working either.

So i am reluctant to make the move if it is a software issue. If Actinic had said look here it is working on ours then i would switch immediately.

Thank you for your help to date though, very much appreciated

Sarah

Comment

That is very odd. With most servers it's just a case of getting the network settings right and off you go.

Actinic should know the settings for their servers so if there's still a problem then it's very unusual and something odd is going on.

At least Actinic should be able to look in their server logs and see why the scripts aren't running. One of the advantages of using a proper host.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X