1and1 cgi problems - 500 internal error on all cgi calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking into other ways

Unfortunately I own a number of domain names but they are all hosted by 1&1. If I signed up elsewhere with another domain name, presumably I could then re-direct the present domain name to the new one and thus have my website up temporarily, though on a re-direct. Better than nothing. Does this sound a good idea? Has anybody hear of fatcow.com and are they OK? Or any other recommendations that are fully suitable for Actinic?

Sarah

Comment

Does anyone know if thie issue is only affecting Actinic sites?

Comment

Usually takes about 4 hours to transfer domains to another registrar, once that is done you can start a new hosting account with whoever you like. Problem is you never know when hosting problems will be fixed and you could end up actioning a transfer and your old hosting account being fixed the next minute, you'd then sit there for another 4 hours without a site, when sitting tight would have been better.

With shared server hosting i think there are 3 simple rules to follow:
        1. If there are continuous problems with the hosting, move hosts and don't wait until the next outage to do it, 3 largish outages in a year should be your trigger
        2. 99.8% uptime translates to about 17 hours of downtime per year
        3. Ringing up endlessly for updates achieves nothing on global problems, all you are doing is clogging up a system that is already aware of the problem and already doing what it can to fix it, you nagging or asking for updates will not improve that by 1 second

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
          Does anyone know if thie issue is only affecting Actinic sites?
          Duncan, 1and1's own Customer Login isn't working (500 error) so, probably not!

Paul
          Paul
          Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Thanks. Re-direct instead?

Rather than transfering domain, I am thinking of re-directing the present domain, to a new one, with any name, hosted elsewhere, eg fatcow.com. This should be quicker and could be used as just a temporary fix when needed. This would work, wouldn't it?

Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by saucysal View Post
              Rather than transfering domain, I am thinking of re-directing the present domain, to a new one, with any name, hosted elsewhere, eg fatcow.com. This should be quicker and could be used as just a temporary fix when needed. This would work, wouldn't it?

Sarah
              Indeed Sarah, to do that slickly though, you'd have the temporary site already up and live and just sat there waiting. DR procedures aren't created within a disaster, they're created well before it. You'd also need to confirm payment processing from a different domain was OK, might need to revert to Paypal.

Comment

Duncan,

It seems to be code specific. I just tried the Network Test on a site that fails to run the Search or Add to Cart. Network Test runs fine and I even got the confirmation email.

Now that requires Perl to be running so it must be something Actinic does that's triggering this fail. Which of course doesn't mean that other sites won't be failing in the same way as it is just standard well tested Perl.

UPDATE: And it's nothing Actinic did recently. I just located an old V7 test site and the fault occurs there too.
                Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

1and1 control panel back up

Comment

Problem I hadn't thought of!

I have just signed up with fatcow.com (I paid for 12 months hosting) with a new domain name (free), and was going to re-direct present site to it temporarily. However, cannot do redirect as need to log in to 1&1 to put the redirect on, and of course cannot do that as they have the same 500 error!

I don't really want to change the web settings in Actinic for a temporary fix, and also have to change settings for SagePay, etc. This may be necessary of course if 1&1 never sort the problem.

Sarah

Comment

Can't you FTP an htaccess file?

Comment

Control Panel's back

But auth.smtp outgoing mail has stopped working.
                        Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

My scripts are running again!

Comment

Do you still get the error 500 then ?

Comment

Still the same issue here.

Comment

Mine are still borked
                                Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Working...
                                X