No announcement yet.

1and1 cgi problems - 500 internal error on all cgi calls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change Script ID and refresh in progress already - this could take the rest of the day.

I tried to 'Quote' Post #11 on page 1 of this thread but it doesn't bring the Code with it, so I've linked to it.

Non-working site: www.rainbowfloristsupplies.co.uk
    Paul
    Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

OK. This is a simple "Hello World" script. It's just a simple script you can run to show whether perl is / isn't working at all.

#!/usr/local/bin/perl
      print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
      print "Hello World\n";
      All you nned to do is save the script to a file. "hello.pl" for example and then upload to the cgi-bin on your server. If you then try and run it (i.e. go to www.yoursite.com/cgi-bin/hello.pl you should see 'Hello World' displayed in your browser.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

You should be able to see what perl is installed on your server from this link:

http://www.rainbowfloristsupplies.co.uk/logs/info.pl

You'll need to enter your username and password.

Mike

* Not sure this will run on a dedicated server or not. Worth a try.

Comment

1) Hmm, c&p'd your code to 'hello.pl' and ftp'd that to cgi-bin:

Input: http://www.rainbowfloristsupplies.co...i-bin/hello.pl

Output:

Error 500 - Internal server error
          An internal server error has occured!
          Please try again later.

However, I did the same to a working site and got the same error response?

2) Yes, you can do that but I don't know what I'm looking for.... Perl Version 5.8.8
          Paul
          Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Comment

That's odd because the same script runs OK on mine. I just tried it.

The only thing I can think that might cause problems are:

- Use notepad or an HTML editor for scripts. Never MS Word.
            - Make sure the permissions are 755
            - Sometimes ftp programs use the wrong format. (ASCII vs Binary). I think ASCII is the right mode.
            - My script is 87 bytes when uploaded. Is yours the same?

TBH if you have several sites running and one that isn't on the same server then it seems unlikely to be the perl modules that are wrong. Most likely it's something else.

Not sure where to look though. My first steps would be run a network test, check permissions and then do site refresh. Hopefully your site refresh will have fixed it.

Mike

PS:

2) Yes, you can do that but I don't know what I'm looking for.... Perl Version 5.8.8
            If nothing else it shows that perl is running OK on your server.

Comment

Refresh fixed this problem, (though I now have another) however to continue this in case it helps someone:

- Use notepad or an HTML editor for scripts. Never MS Word.
              I used notepad and 'Saved As' 'All Files' 'hello.pl'

- Make sure the permissions are 755
              They were automatically set to 644 but changing them on your advice now didn't make any difference;

- Sometimes ftp programs use the wrong format. (ASCII vs Binary). I think ASCII is the right mode.
              I used Webspace Explorer in Control Panel....

- My script is 87 bytes when uploaded. Is yours the same?
              Ah, mine said 84 bytes. I downloaded it and deleted a space at the end, it's now 83 bytes. There are 81 characters (including carriage returns) and presumably a start & finish bit.

Water under the bridge for now though. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by gcamley View Post
                Actinic and 1and1 are currently investigating what part of the upgrade caused the sites to fail.
                We have found that the server upgrade that was applied included version 2.25 of a perl module safe.pm which was incompatible with perl 5.8.8 and earlier which happens to be the version of perl installed on 1and1 servers.

A later version of safe.pm was released to fix the problem however 1and1 have opted to upgrade perl later this year probably to 5.10.1 rather than re applying the server upgrade plus the fix.

Until then 1and1 will not re-apply the server upgrade that caused the problem reported at the beginning of this thread so that Actinic sites will continue to work.

Gordon Camley

3rd Line Support
                SellerDeck.

Comment

Working...
                X