new website wont upload!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new website wont upload!

Hi there I am new to all of this and have just finished my first version of my website. I have tried to upload it and I keep getting the error:

Actinic Ecommerce received a network error while merging files on the server. Try again later and contact your network administrator if the problem persists. The operation timed out

Its driving me mad and ive tried everything I can think of, ive gone through the knowledge base and the FAQ but to no joy. Can anybody help please?

Thanx in advance.

Does anyone have any ideas? I have been in contact with my webhosts for 2 days now and still cant seem to resolve this problem.

Comment

Hi. Have you only just set up your hosting service against your domain name? I had a similar problem to the one you are describing when the DNS had not quite updated at my ISP. Most of the upload worked, then the merge failed. The problem was sorted after about 48 hours

Comment

My hosting sevrvice has been set up a while and my domain name has been transfered on there for the last week. I have been in contact with my Webhost and has sent loads of emails back and forth but still the problems occur four days later!! If it wasnt for the merging of the files I would have no problem because the rest of the ssite is fine apart from when you try to get into the catalog. Then I just get a message saying *****.com cant be found. please check name again.

God knows what is going on but I cant seem to get it sorted

Comment

If you go to your ADVANCED / NETWORK SETUP / TEST
          Does it pass?
          I can't check you DNS as I don't know your domain name as the forum blanked it out

Comment

Testing now, sorry its www.xka2k.com

Force of habit, a lot of forum dont like me putting my URL on there as they see it as advertising!

Comment

Just got this back from the test:

The test script failed to execute on the web server. The error could be caused by several things. Check the path to the Perl shell, the CGI-BIN URL, and the proxy WWW port.. This error could also occur if your web site is out of disk space or your web server is not configured to accept POSTs to CGI scripts.

????

Comment

You'll find us a generally nice bunch.

Let us know if the test works - your error can often be caused by incorrect settings in 'Advanced | Network Setup' - particularly the path from the cgi-bin to the 'acatalog' folder. This is should be a relative path e.g.

../htdocs/acatalog/

or

../www/acatalog/

Comment

Who are you hosting with?
                  What are each of the settings you have for the network set-up? i.e Catalog URL =
                  etc

Comment

Just seen your post about the test response. My ideas may not be correct...

Check with your web host that your web site can execute Perl and ask them what you should have as the 'Path to Perl Shell'. On Windows servers it's often:

C:\Perl\bin\Perl.exe

or just

perl

on Unix/Linux it's normally

/usr/bin/perl

or

/usr/local/bin/perl

Also check with your web host what extension your Perl files should have.

Comment

Hi my host is www.cheapnet.co.uk

heres my settings:

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/29/Screen01.JPG

Comment

The 'Path from CGI-BIN to acatalog Directory' field is wrong and will never work.

This needs to be the file path on your web server that will take people from http://www.xka2k.com/cgi-bin/ to http://www.xka2k.com/acatalog/.

It will normally start with a ../ (i.e. get out of the cgi-bin) and then will look something like:

../htdocs/acatalog/

or

../www/acatalog/

Your settings otherwise look pretty standard.

Comment

the \acatalog is in public_html so do i address it as ../public_html/acatalog ?

Comment

It looks as though I am getting somewhere now, the main problem seems to have been cured. Now when I test I get this:

Your Catalog URL appears to be invalid. The files uploaded to the given 'Path from cgi-bin to acatalog directory', can not be downloaded via the browser on the given Catalog URL. These two access routes don't point to the same destination on the server.

This is probably something very simple but I cant get it, any ideas please?

Thanx.

Comment

cheapnet.co.uk Hmm!!

Sometimes I find that ISP's give you a user home directory rather than the web site directory when you log in.

Are you sure you have the correct domain?

EDIT: Just looked at your settings and think what I have said above is correct due to you having to log onto ftp.cheapnet.co.uk rather than ftp.yourdomain.co.uk
                              Owner of a broken heart

Comment

Working...
                              X