No announcement yet.

Somebody get rid of nsk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure that with all the all to common forum vulnerabilities (thats forums in general and not these forums specifically) that Actinic would feel it viable to use customers product keys which would then be stored in the MySql database and also need to be checked in some way to ensure they are valid which would require some form of custom coding which i would imagine would not come cheap and potentialy could open up all sorts of security issues with Actinic Keys.

Comment

just been catching up on this

first upgrade to latest version your out of date, and most updates are for a good reason
      you as a software house should appreciate that

second the only true way of catching spam accontsis manual moderation or ISP based email address, no hotmali etc

third how about previlages after so many post counts, access to different forums

ive moderated on some of the bigger cd/dvd and warez forums over the years

the only true way is manual moderation, access limited to sections dependant on post count or subs

lastly a simple mod to implement
      Forbid Users from Posting Links or Images if They Have Fewer than 15 Posts
      http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=178611

a similar system is done over at ukbusinessforums
      Remembering the road to Actinic enlightenment is a long and sometimes painful one.
      Current project:
      cheapadulttoys4u.co.uk
      cheaplingerie4u.co.uk
      Something for the Missus,Something for the Weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Ginnys Attic View Post
        I'm not sure that with all the all to common forum vulnerabilities (thats forums in general and not these forums specifically) that Actinic would feel it viable to use customers product keys which would then be stored in the MySql database and also need to be checked in some way to ensure they are valid which would require some form of custom coding which i would imagine would not come cheap and potentialy could open up all sorts of security issues with Actinic Keys.
        If they were to go this route then the purchase key check would need to a manual affair before approving access to the general forums. I think there would be too much risk (and work) involved to automate this.

Comment

Although totally overkill this could be automated and secured using standard private key encryption... which for the amount of spam the forum gets is really not worth the hassle.

The latest changes seem to have done wonders though.

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

yep cds work seems to have sent the blighters packing.

Comment

Lets just suck it and see, to the best of my knowledge Chris has applied a couple of patches that moderate new members under certain circumstances.

Lets remember that up until last weekend when there were multiple postings on the recent threads which trashed the "New Posts" feature the spamming was quite sporadic and not to much of a nuisance. If Chris has got on top of the new spam methodology then we should be fine for a while.

Good Job Chris (and speedy too)

Comment

Working...
              X