No announcement yet.

v9.0.3 Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

902 is not an option IMO, 903 only thing you can use in V9.

Comment

902 is not an option IMO, 903 only thing you can use in V9
      Hmmmm - I had no problems with 902 but I am having issues with 903. Duplicate page warnings, missing layouts and files from snapshots and more dmp files

Comment

V7 it is then.....

Comment

V7 it is then.....
          Ive a few V7 sites still running and strangely they never have problems

Comment

Ditto - Aquazuro is still on V7.......

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

The funny thing is that i'm pretty sure V7 has/had more reported bugs than V8/V9 ever did, yet it somehow rises out of the do-do smelling of roses. I'd love to understand that point. I guess it's the bugs and the number of people they impact upon, that denotes how good a version is perceived.

Comment

i'm pretty sure V7 has/had more reported bugs than V8/V9 ever did
                TBH I really cannot think of any serious V7 bugs - V8/9 however has never been free of them. Design (and normal!) snapshots still do not work but in V7 transfering design mods was a dream.

Im still waiting for all the fantastic possibilities that CD mentioned when V8 was released

Comment

The thing is that v8 and v9 are structurly different from v7 in that templates are gone and along came design objects which reside in the database, while it gives greater control to the webdesigner, the flip side, is that more calls are being made to the database. I kinda liked v7 towards the end (i fixed a couple of bugs in the maintence release ), it was fast, but had less features.

Anyway v9 looks like it is coming along, yes there may still be some bugs, but there was a huge effort in 9.0.3, I know I was there

Comment

I kinda liked v7 towards the end (i fixed a couple of bugs in the maintence release ), it was fast, but had less features.
                    Im not saying v9 is crap as it is far better than V7 in many areas - its just trying to be toooooo clever eg multi thread uploads and falling over all the time. There has been no real improvement in "features" IMO since V8 was introduced.

Comment

I can delete the page name and Actinic allows me to save the section without a html page name. For me that is very strange behaviour
                      You can delete the contents of the page name field, but if you do, Actinic reverts to its default and automatically generates a page name based on the name of the section.

You can demonstrate this by deleting the page name, then previewing the page and checking the page name in the browser address bar.
                      Bruce Townsend
                      Ecommerce Product Manager
                      Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb View Post
                        Im not saying v9 is crap as it is far better than V7 in many areas - its just trying to be toooooo clever eg multi thread uploads and falling over all the time. There has been no real improvement in "features" IMO since V8 was introduced.
                        Hey Malcolm, I didn't say you was, if i sounded like that, sorry, that was just my own personal free opinion. v8 and v9 do have some real improvement, its a shame that shipping overhaul doesn't get mentioned, I remember a couple of years ago, lots of people was mentioning that Shipping hadn't changed from v6 onwards, so I alongside other Support/Developers mentioned this, and there was a overhaul of the shipping system in 8.5.0, now it is flexible and pretty good. Those I believe are the real advantage of v8/v9, the flexibility of the s/ware

Comment

No problem. As I said v8/9 better in many areas and I would not even consider going back to v7 and I would advise anyone on v7 to upgrade as the benifits out weight any disadvantages.

What concerns me is that there has been very little if any improvements in the customer facing parts of the software. For instance I launched the very first v8 site and it's still running on the original version of the software and has never had a problem. It used an unbuilt template - yesterday I handed over a 903 site and when you look at the two on line they are basically the same. To the customer the software has not evolved. Still the same old basket, same complex checkout, etc etc

I know things have improved a little in the background to help the site owner but without sales they are all useless. Many of the improvement can IMO be made very easily but they are things that should be standard. 903 cost 300000 but to me all it has done is introduce problems - the duplicate page check being the most stupid and the missing files from snapshots being the most serious. IMO you are listening to the minority of users at the expence of the selling bits of the software.

Now saying all this I have just finished sending out orders after taking the most Christmas orders since our site was converted to actinic five years ago. So the software works well and I would not move but it could be made much better very quickly

Comment

Originally posted by NRasool View Post
                            I remember a couple of years ago, lots of people was mentioning that Shipping hadn't changed from v6 onwards, so I alongside other Support/Developers mentioned this, and there was a overhaul of the shipping system in 8.5.0, now it is flexible and pretty good. Those I believe are the real advantage of v8/v9, the flexibility of the s/ware
                            This is definately true, how ever it is still missing a an important part "Excluding A Product From A Shipping Class" Shipping is not universal, not everything can be sent by the same method. I have been winging about this since it got updated but alas it seems that it is unlikely to be sorted for another couple of releases at the very earliest.

I think most of us realise the amount of work that went into V9, but i agree with Mal there is little difference between V8 & V9 - the new upload and process and offline ordering the rest are bug fixes this of course is MHO

D

Comment

As a humble user of Actinic since V5 I have to say we are now using V9.0.3 and it just works for us. I'm running three users on a Multi User system, I have invested in a dedicated online server and an Managed Broadband connection from Demon and my own in house designer and we processed 454 orders last monday.

I think occasionally Actinic need a pat on the back for a cracking job well done and I'll stick my head over the parapet and say 'thank you team Actinic'
                              John Sollars
                              MD at Stinkyink.Com
                              Ph 01746 781020
                              Fx 01746 781698
                              Em John (at) Stinkyink dot Com

Comment

Originally posted by john@stinkyink. View Post
                                I'll stick my head over the parapet and say 'thank you team Actinic'
                                My head's up there with yours John. Actinic 9.03 works for us, too, with any niggles down to my inexperience.

We only moved to Actinic in February this year. We were successful and busy before but the difference since has been exponential. We took on an extra member of staff in early March and today our regular student starts back again, just in time to see us through the holiday period and beyond.

PS Mine was one of those many orders you shipped out on Monday John - it arrived next day. Many thanks.
                                Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Working...
                                X