Site1 directory location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Site1 directory location?

Can I move the "Site1" directory location away from the actinic installation directory please ? - out of habit, I do NOT store changing DATA on my c-drive

if I get a c-drive failiure, then my data's gone - and yes, I do regular backups and observe all normall precautions and take backups of my DATA drive but don't bother much with the c-drive - after all, I can always re-install if the c-drive fails and occasionally a good clean out and re-install works wonders for windows.

regards

Might be better to reinstall Actinic on the data drive and keep the directory structure standard.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

ah - cutting edge?

I've been studying the computers off and on for the last 20 years and "thought" that we've cracked the idea of having data separate from the actual programmes, they (actinic) seem to have created a cracking programme, but they seem not to have heard of having an option for "where is Site1 installed ? "

no, seriously, I've thought about that, but I was hoping that there was something simpler that installing it on to the other drive

kev

Comment

Kev, you've been at it almost as long as me.

It IS possible to relocate the Site1 folder anywhere you like and the you need to hack the registry entries to point to the right location.

If you are confident on doing the registry hacks, then more detail is available.

I just personally like to avoid kludges.
        Bill

Comment

now your'e talking,

hacking the reg is quite normal to me, and I can then document the hack, export original keys etc etc so I can re-apply them if I upgrade.

I'm guessing that the developer edtion gives you this option automatically, (allowing you to swap sites etc)
          perhaps, as other readers might not be happy playing with the registries, it might be better to reply by private email (if thats possible)

kev

Comment

You can pick up my email from my profile - just click on my name to the left of this post.
            Bill

Comment

Please can this be posted generally

I am sure many people would be interested in this

I would love to move my Site1 dir for the same reasons - I only back up the C drive after installing a new app - whereas D drive gets done much more often.

Thanks

Jane
              Jane

Comment

Bill has responded privately to me outlining the methods.
                I'm going to play over the weekend, when pressures are not there, and I'll report back as to how I got on.

perhaps someone at actinic knows a safer method.

kev

Comment

I am reluctant to publish this till I have done more testing. I have had it running partially for two weeks. Kevin has the level of experience needed to react correctly if something goes wrong.

I am working on something else at the moment away from home. When I get back next week I will do some heavy testing, as I am sure will Kevin. Don't be surprised if you see one or both of us back here reporting it does not work as well as expected.

Course, on the other hand, if it continues to work well, then I will write up a step by step guide - but not before August.
                  Bill

Comment

here, here

Comment

I've run into problems with 100% of what actually needs doing within the registry - my guess is that I'm 95-98% there, but thats not quite enough !
                      I will crack it, BUT, I have to have my development directory back up and running for tomorrow morning, so in the mean time, I have reinstated my "Site1" directory back under the c-drive and it will remain there until later this week (or perhaps this weekend)

sorry I couldn't post a "how-to" but I WILL post it as soon as I have TOTALLY ensured its SAFE to post the solution,

Comment

Understand that Kevin, I still have my site1 intact within the normal directory structure so that switching back will be easy to do if something does go wrong. I'm in no rush to publish anything - if I break my installation, it's my own fault. I'm not going to break someone else's site. If you don't have a second PC for testing, then you might want to drop out until I get more detailed testing done.
                        Bill

Comment

Hi,
                          I have played a little with this and decided that it is far easier to do a site snapshot as a safety measure - you are given the option each time you close the program. Moving Actinic folders etc is a recipie for disaster speaking from experience.

Mal Stubbs
                          www.RuralWebDesign.co.uk

Comment

Am I missing something simple hear as I thought the idea of making a backup was to copy data files to a safe medium at regular intervalls

The data files can be anywhere on any disk and the backup just needs to identify them and copy them to the safe location.

What it sounds like is that you are playing with quality control for the sake of being clever programmers, You risk unique problems in the future possibly degrading your software's quality for no material gain

I know my limitations and have little programing (Vertually Nill) but prehapse someone can tell me the real benifits of what bill and kev are trying to do
                            Chris Ashdown

Comment

Hi there

perhaps someone at actinic knows a safer method.
                              We will only advise to backup your site via a snapshot, then uninstalling the software and reinstall onto another location. Actinic Support does not recommend in changing the registry for the location, as this may cause Actinic to crash.

Kind Regards
                              Nadeem Rasool
                              SellerDeck Development

Comment

Working...
                              X