This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's some confusion here.
    The single product per page is the main product not the duplicate. The duplicate sits in the parent (or another) section with less info etc.
    What Jont is saying is that it doesn't make sense to have a single product per page and still use a popup on that page for more info - rather have all the info available on the page for the customer (and SEs) to read.

Comment

ok, I agree with everything you just said (Jont, post #59), and that is how my pages are setup. But it is your previous statement that confuses me...
      The whole point of a single product per section is not to use a cut down duplicate but to retain all the main info there on the 1 page.
      ...as it appears to be completely the opposite of what you just said...
      John

Comment

Originally posted by drounding
        The single product per page is the main product not the duplicate. The duplicate sits in the parent (or another) section with less info etc.
        What Jont is saying is that it doesn't make sense to have a single product per page and still use a popup on that page for more info - rather have all the info available on the page for the customer (and SEs) to read.
        Yes, I understand that. The duplicate has less info and sits 1 level up with the other duplicates. My question about the button, was how to link the duplicate to the lower level single product page using a button (rather than using the 'link' section of the duplicate product and embedding [LINK] in the description. But I think I figured that out anyway...
        John

Comment

Originally posted by jxm28788
          ok, I agree with everything you just said (Jont, post #59), and that is how my pages are setup. But it is your previous statement that confuses me...

...as it appears to be completely the opposite of what you just said...
          There is a NOT in there if you read it again ... the whole point of a single product per section is NOT to use a cut down template

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

the whole point of a single product per section is NOT to use a cut down template
            Yes, I see the NOT. But that depends if you mean not to use a cut down template for the product or for the duplicate.

I agree that the product tempalte should not be cut down and should contain "full details".

However, my understanding was that the duplicate product should be cut down (ie. less detail). Indeed this is what you have done in your example - the only details you have for your duplicate products is name and price with a 'more info' button.

Unless of course we are using our duplicates the opposite way round which would explain the confusion...
            John

Comment

Think there is some differences in terminology and the way the sites are being used.

The link to the site above is a site using 1 product per page - the main (master) product shows all the info - text description, quantity, product image etc.

The direct link above is a New Arrivals section which is set using a cut down template for that section and then a simple paste of the duplicate into the section. This allows the items to be added to the cart or if the user requires more info can click on the "i" button taking them to the 1 product per page layout (the master product) with all the info, product image etc.

As ever there is more than 1 way to skin a cat and it depends on whihc works best for you and your users

Bikster

Comment

I'm using exactly the same method... think we're just getting confused on how to describe it... no matter, as long as it works...
                John

Comment

Phew, now that we've got that sorted ( I think), I'd be really grateful if someone (esp John & Duncan who have been so helpful) could take a quick look at the first product on this page to see whether I am on the right lines. At the mo, this is the only product on my site that uses 1 prod per section, but once i'm completely happy with templates etc i'll roll it out across the rest of the site where necessary.
                  Thanks in advance, Nick.
                  Trying to squeeze my moneys worth out of V7 - but not for much longer!

Comment

it looks fine to me, that's what I am doing (but with a different layout).

multiple product duplicates on 1 page with name, price, add to basket button and more info button. each one leading to a more detailed product page that is optimised for that product.
                    John

Comment

Originally posted by Luddite
                      Phew, now that we've got that sorted ( I think), I'd be really grateful if someone (esp John & Duncan who have been so helpful) could take a quick look at the first product on this page to see whether I am on the right lines. At the mo, this is the only product on my site that uses 1 prod per section, but once i'm completely happy with templates etc i'll roll it out across the rest of the site where necessary.
                      Thanks in advance, Nick.
                      Yes that's appears to be what we've been talking about.
                      It would be a good idea to also make the duplicate's product image clickable to link to the main, single product, section. (By using a modified Act_ProductLine template for those duplicates only - see my earlier post #8 on the first page of this thread)

Comment

Nick - not sure why but I have been unable to view your site for a few days now - either via posted links or entering it direct into the browser!!

Bikster

Comment

Thanks all - little way to go yet but good to know i'm on the right track.

Jont - thats strange - i'm not aware of anyone else having probs. I've not had any orders for a couple of days but I just put that down to e-tumbleweed.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Luddite
                            Jont - thats strange - i'm not aware of anyone else having probs. I've not had any orders for a couple of days but I just put that down to e-tumbleweed.

Nick
                            I see it just fine... and couldn't resist one of your cool gadgets! And on an aside, glad to see you take PayPal - personally think this is becoming more and more important to buyers

ps. I'd like one of those Suck UK, "24" style LED clocks - but £600!

Comment

Nick - can see your site from home. Not sure why could not see from work as there is nothing on there to filter sites! Looking good

Bikster

Comment

Originally posted by GrahamL
                                I see it just fine... and couldn't resist one of your cool gadgets! And on an aside, glad to see you take PayPal - personally think this is becoming more and more important to buyers

ps. I'd like one of those Suck UK, "24" style LED clocks - but £600!
                                Thanks Graham - all orders greatly received at the mo! Yep - the LED clock is abit special. Paypal: We decided to include purely because of its wide use on ebay. I think alot of people are still quite scared of entering cc details (rightly), so pp is good for peace of mind.

Nick

Comment

Working...
                                X