Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just one little problem with this method - if you search for the item on the site it appears twice in the results list.

Given that some of my items fit into groups of 5 or 6 with similar names a partial search brings back 10-12 results...

I have turned off 'searchable' for the customvars, but it still finds the duplicate by product name. Is there any way to prevent this?
    John

Comment

Yes, I exclude all my duplicates from the search.
      View|Search Settings - Search Options - Indexing Options - uncheck Index Product Duplicates.
      I also exlcude product duplicates from my Froogel Feed so that the Froogle link always takes the searcher directly to the detailed product page.

Comment

nice one, that's exactly what I wanted to do!
        John

Comment

I hope it is okay to ask something related to this topic

I would like to show additional images at the bottom of my one product per page eg other customers have purchased ... or you may also be interested ...

How do I modify my Section template to do this

Please reply with simple instructions as I can find templates and cut and paste text but note much else!

Thanks

Geraldine

www.stardustkids.co.uk
          Stardust Funky Kids T-Shirts

Comment

Norman has an add on to do that - Try this thread - http://community.actinic.com/showthr...ghlight=upsell
            John

Comment

The simplest and cheapest way to do this is just to add a fragment to the section containing the links, images and info you want - unfortunately the trade off is the extra work to maintain the fragments.
              Such as: http://www.fancylines.co.uk/acatalog...nd_Choker.html (Note: Adult Lingerie Site)

For a more automated solution search the forum for 'upsell' or 'related products' or such like.

Comment

uh-oh. My duplicates 'add to cart' buttons are broken. Now I get -

A General Script Error Occurred
                Error: (ProductName)
                Invalid order details

Any ideas what I screwed up to get that error? The main product 'add to cart' button is still ok.
                John

Comment

great - I will contact him

Geraldine
                  Stardust Funky Kids T-Shirts

Comment

ah, got it. had commented out these lines, one of which I guess is kind of important...

Code:
                    NETQUOTEVAR:CARTERRORXMLNETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTQUANTITY<br>
                    John

Comment

Coincedence, or a job well done?

Had a sale this morning that included the only 2 products that we've 'upgraded' to 1 prod per section'. So, either it was a complete fluke, or I need to do the rest of the site asap!!
                      Nick
                      Trying to squeeze my moneys worth out of V7 - but not for much longer!

Comment

Originally posted by drounding
                        I use a single product per section also - with parent sections containing duplicate products with short descriptions and smaller pictures etc.
                        To be able to click on the duplicate (image or link) then what I do is as follows:
                        For the text link -
                        I put [LINK] in the description and then configure an Advanced Link with some link text to the product.
                        For the image link -
                        I have modified my Act_ProductLine template where:
                        Code:
                        NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTBEGINLINKNETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTIMAGE
                        is changed to
                        Code:
                        <A HREF =http://www.mydomain.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?PRODREF=NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTREFERENCE&NOLOGIN=1 TARGET="_self">
                        NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTBEGINLINKNETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTIMAGE 
                        </A>
                        You can see an example here:
                        http://www.fancylines.co.uk/acatalog/Corsets.html
                        Note: Adult Lingerie Site

Am I right in thinking that if I make the changes above but do not delete
                        NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTBEGINLINK
                        so replace it with

A HREF =http://www.mydomain.co.uk/cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?PRODREF=NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTREFERENCE&NOLOGIN=1 TARGET="_self">
                        NETQUOTEVAR:PRODUCTIMAGE
                        </A>

Will this just make the image link go through the CGI Bin and allow the text link to go to a direct url so that search engines can still follow.

Many thanks

Jason
                        Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
                        Zirconium Rings
                        Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

Possibly - you'd have to give a go and see.
                          So long as you include a link to your sitemap (at least on your home page if not on every page) then SEs will be able to find their way around and index your site.

Comment

I've been trying this one product per section method in the smart theme as a way to link to products from different sections, ie by designer, and then duplicate products sectioned by item (footwear, clothing etc), then a new section, and a sale item section

The Store Section list shows Sections and subsections, but where I have listed the products as individual subsection/product, it lists all these as well.

I did this to hide subsections:

Go to 'Design | Options | Layouts' and click 'Edit' next to the 'Default Overall Layout' field.

Look for where it says:
                            Code:

<script language=Javascript1.2> document.write(YahooSections(section_tree)) </script>

and change 'section_tree' to 'sections'.

Now go into the <head> section and locate

<!--@act NETQUOTEVAR:SECTIONTREE_RAW -->

change this to

<!--@act NETQUOTEVAR:TOPLEVELSECTIONS_RAW -->

but of course it hides all the subsections and I only want to hide the original product subsections list that I am linking to from the duplicate products in other sections.

Is there a way to hide the original product per section list in the section tree?

On another point, I switched off the tree that shows at the centre top of each page and can't remember how to switch it back on! Where is the tick box for it?

Comment

There are acouple of old posts about showing only the content of the current page and it's subsections - perhaps this might help you?

The "tree" at the top - could you be talking about the breadcrumbs?
                              Bill
                              www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                              Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                              BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                              Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                              VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                              Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

The tree = breadcrumbs, I wondered what people were refering to. Design /options/sections/Parent section Links/None or top etc
                                - thats where they were.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X