Capitalise Coupon Code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another good one Graham.

This sort of info should be added to the knowledge base or tagged in some way for future reference.

Comment

Good one again Graham.

This sort of info should be added to the knowledge base or tagged in some way for future reference.

Comment

Thanks Graham

My one concern with these extra script calls is whether there will be much of a performance hit on the checkout.

With each entry field making a call to the script file, is this likley to slow down checkout by a noticeable amount?

Sorry to be a 'Joes Comforter' after Graham has provided all this neat code.

I suppose the ideal would be a way of automatically formatting the fields AFTER the checkout process has finished, and the customer had completed the order, so the customer wasn't delayed at all.

Harking back to my days writing in Dbase, there was a simple line of code like
        SET CAPITALS ON or SET UPPERCASE ON
        (excuse any error, it was some 10 years ago)
        and worked like SET CAPLOCK ON, which mean't that everything typed was in capitals, until a SET CAPITALS OFF was encountered.

Now this was with the program running on the users machine, but is something like this possible with a user interacting with a server?

Martin

Comment

These javascripts are running on the PC and the load / delay should really be nothing. You can embed the code on the page if you prefer rather than the javascript file, but there's a good chance the file is already loaded from previous pages so again there should be no performance hit there.

Mike
          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Thanks Mike

Comment

I suppose the ideal would be a way of automatically formatting the fields AFTER the checkout process has finished, and the customer had completed the order, so the customer wasn't delayed at all.
              You're right, and Actinic should really do this itself.
              www.gbradley.co.uk
              Web Development, Actinic Patches, Scripts & more

Comment

Yup. I've been doing this on my checkout pages for a while and it's really quite annoying when I get orders with no formatting as the owner has turned off javascript.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

There seem to be some features which crop up time and time again.

This formatting issue is one.

Another great idea, which was brought up a few weeks ago, was a 'security clean up button' - to 'make safe' credit card information held by those who take their own payments offline. Once the payment has been processed, one click, and the card details are blanked or replaced by 1234 *** **** 5678.
                  Ideally, user configurable as to what replaces which field, and whether its order by order, or a one button blitz on all orders with payment taken.

I'm going to bring up a suggestion I have made before (a couple of years ago I think), that the wish list be made a more accessible item, so that the programmers can get a better idea of what concerns us (the users) the most.

Add a link (along the same lines as 'Try the Actinic Knowledge Base' at the top right of this page), from this forum, to a wish list, that permanately displays users wish list items, and allows others to vote on them in order of preference - 5 votes to the most urgently wanted down to 1.
                  I know we have a wish list system at the moment, but I think this sort of system would help emphasise, what is most important to us.

Any views?

Martin

Comment

Martin,

I too would like to see a list of wishlist items, but i am not sure this part
                    others to vote on them in order of preference - 5 votes to the most urgently wanted down to 1.
                    could be made to work. I know my own preference changes according to what I am struggling with at the moment .
                    Bill
                    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Bill
                      Without wanting to overly complicate it for the nice peeps who provide our software, forum etc, maybe there can be a way of logging our votes against our forum name (so that you can only place one set of votes, and not simply vote for everything!), but be able to change your preferences at any time.

I really believe that the current wish list method hardly represents the views of us all, as it tends to be one person raising an issue and asking for something, and a few of us adding our own 'here, here!'.

Having an accessible voting list, may help prioritise certain wishes.

I guess I'm asking for a wish list to be added to the wish list

Martin

Comment

Originally posted by fleetwood
                        I guess I'm asking for a wish list to be added to the wish list
                        Here, Here

Actinic obviously do take on board suggestions and issues and incorporate them into either patches or future releases - either via direct requests or via covert watching of the forum to see what is being said.

I can see an issue in publically revealling what is on the wish list if JoeBloggs E-Cart comes along and registers as just a user and can see what people are after and then beat Actinic to the implementation. Open discussion on wants, needs and strategies does not often take place in the public domain for commercial bodies.

Bikster
                        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

and then beat Actinic to the implementation
                          Jont! We all know nobody could beat Actinic (oh a good grovel has got to be worth a renewal discount, surely )

A good point though Jont.

In that case, I shall modify the idea as follows:

A forum link underneath the 'Knowledge Base' one pointing to the wish list area.

Here we are presented with a form to enter our top 5 wishes.

Yes, I know we can do that anyway if we want to, but I just think it would be worth encouraging more users to make their views known, in an easy fashion.

To make it easier to monitor, maybe it could be put to the forum once or twice a year...

"Actinic would like your views...please let us have your top 5 wish list items..."

If this is already done, then I shall climb back in my box

Martin

Comment

I seem to remember we had a similar discussion before, and if my memory is right, Actinic turned down the suggestion because users would be disappointed when the most popular 'wants' did not make it into the very next version.

Some 'can we do this' items are just a case of a small code alteration, others are weeks and weeks of solid programming. For Actinic (and others), it's nice to reserve the ability to choose what you will work on, and not have implied 'promises' to your user base hanging over your head.
                            Bill
                            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by wjcampbe
                              weeks and weeks of solid programming.
                              ... which may only be of use to a limited number of users.

Having a fully open wish list is usually the reserve of open source projects - with all the fun and games they bring with it .....

Bikster
                              SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Whilst I know its only to easy to yell "...and the software should include this and that...", I think its also worth remembering that a lot of us are financing this programming through support fees.

The software represents excellent value for money if you use all that it offers, but is an ongoing cost if you maintain support (albeit an optional one, as you can elect not to upgrade).

I don't know how much use people make of the support system, as most times I will look on here rather than calling in a problem (in fact I can't remembering ever calling in for support, other than on initial setup), but I would guess that a large proportion of annual support income is funding programming of the next upgrade.

To this extent at least, we deserve our say (and I'm not by this impying we don't get our say!) - but we deserve to at least influence the direction of upgrades.

Martin (happier than the Mr Grouch he sounds like )

Comment

Working...
                                X