V9 the slowness of.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jont,
    Yes it would be but my designer has advised me to go back to V7 while she talks to Actinic, she also comments on the lack of information relating to the speed of version 9 coming from Actinic.
    The MOTO, was one of the many features I liked about V9 but it is dwarfed by the lack of speed and the now increasing number of errors appearing after the upgrade.
    I like to use software after I have paid for it I don't like to be paying for its development...
    Thanks for the comment though it is appreciated.

Comment

Hi Chris

We are very aware of the performance issues with very large sites like yours, and have been working hard over the last couple of months to fix a variety of areas of the code to speed up generation and upload.

There is also a possibility that there is something in your site which is causing it to take much longer to upload than it did on Louise's PC, but then this could also be to do with connection speed etc.

Can I ask that you bear with us while our developers investigate your snapshot, and we also get 9.0.3 ready for release.

Comment

Hi Chris,
        What size of sight should be considered too large for Actinic V9?
        How long should I "bear with you", keeping in mind my site is closed down due to other errors relating to V9 and moving back to V7 will take all day today.
        Lastly what connection speed is the minimum that V9 will operate effectively at?
        Cheers,
        Chris C.

Comment

Chris,

You must have read http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=37638, there will be a new build of 9.02 out today and a new version addressing serious performance issues in a few weeks time.

Regards,
          Bruce King, Mole End Software Support
          Integrated label paper for Actinic A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels.
          One Stop Automation Automate Actinic. Mole End Automation works while you play.
          Mole End Product Mash for Actinic A suite of marketing feeds for your Actinic Store

Actinic Upgrade and Design Service

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce King View Post
            Chris,

You must have read http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=37638, there will be a new build of 9.02 out today and a new version addressing serious performance issues in a few weeks time.

Regards,
            Hi Bruce,
            Yes, read it, but I bought this software 2 months ago when maybe I should have bought it in "a few weeks time".
            I sell important components for the manufacturing industry and if a production maching breaks down I need to get the part on order and to my customer by the next day sometimes same day.
            This V9 can only be used if you are happy to upload overnight not 3~4 times a day as I have to.
            My website is obviously too big for Actinic but they do not have any guidance on what is too big.
            I have the potential to double the size of the site and I thought that I could grow into V9 but I think it may struggle.
            Thanks for the comment.

CC

Comment

Hi Chris

What size of sight should be considered too large for Actinic V9?
              It's not just the number of products. It's also what navigation tools etc. are used in the design as anything that affects the rendering of each page will have a knock-on effect on the total generation time. The fact that your database is just shy of half a gig suggests you've got well over 10,000 products. Actinic will work at this level, but it will be very slow until 9.0.3 is out.
              How long should I "bear with you", keeping in mind my site is closed down due to other errors relating to V9 and moving back to V7 will take all day today.
              The support team are looking at your snapshot today to see whether this anything that can be done pre-9.0.3 to improve performance. It could be that we find something that helps make v9 viable for you. At the very least, we'll be able to use your snapshot for testing 9.0.3 and checking for performance improvements and issues.
              Lastly what connection speed is the minimum that V9 will operate effectively at?
              Any broadband connection will work. I just mentioned that as an example of the sort of variable that affects generation and upload time.

You mention other issues with v9 as well. Could you maybe drop me an email to cdicken /at/ actinic/co/uk describing them and I can check that they are included in the list of issues to be fixed in 9.0.3.

Comment

Hi Chris,
                I think the designer at Peblaco is working on this and should be highlighting issues like images that show in V7 not showing in V9 amongst others.
                I think that if you introduce a piece of software and it has serious problems with "large" sites, that V7 does not have, you should highlight it particularly as you obviously know about it and you do not offer refunds.
                From reading various threads you keep your accredited designers in the dark as well.
                There seems no point in that you only end up with unsatisfied customers be that users or designers,,,,short lived strategy.

Chris C.

Comment

highlighting issues like images that show in V7 not showing in V9
                  This sounds like a well know problem that originally occured with V8 when it was released and as V9 is based on V8 then it could be the same.

Comment

Chris - v9 doesn't perform any significantly slower than v8.

It's not a case of 'we have knowingly introduced slow software', it's just the case that the way Actinic generates pages in v8 and v9 is a bit slower per page than in v7. This was to allow each page to basically support any relevant code - rather than restricting what can appear on each page as we had done before. This isn't a problem in most sites, but it is very noticeable with a large site upgrading from v7 to v9. Also, I've just got your database open here and you've got nearly 60,000 products - which is well outside of the number of products we support (the license terms say 20,000 and I believe the v7 ones say 10,000)

I will test your site today in 9.0.3 and let you know how long it takes to upload. Also, 9.0.3 includes a 'single page upload' feature which just uploads a single page (and relevant files) so your upload time for adding a new product will probably shrink from 20 mins to 1 minute. I'll also investigate the issue with missing images.

Can I just ask that you moderate your postings a bit, because I don't want to have to moderate them for you.

Comment

Also, 9.0.3 includes a 'single page upload' feature which just uploads a single page (and relevant files
                      Why dont you tell people what you are working on chris as it would stop alot of the slagging on the forum - this is big news and what many have been asking for for years but again you keep it quiet and loose users who may have stayed with actinic if they had known it was coming - at the very minimum tell your "Partners"

Comment

Ouch, Sorry I thought was an open forum not a "say only what Chris Dicken will allow you to say forum".

Will not say another word.

Comment

just got your database open here and you've got nearly 60,000 products
                          then Im not surprised actinic is not working - 20,000 is the max recomended size

Comment

what on earth is there 60k of?

Comment

then Im not surprised actinic is not working - 20,000 is the max recomended size
                              Apparantly not!
                              From V7, max recomended size is now 10,000 products (see CD above).

If this is the case, this is another of those 'you kept this pretty quite' issues.

When V8 MU was released, I upgraded as I needed a MU environment.
                              Only after release was it made clear that MU referred to order processing only, and not catalogue maintenance, which still only supported one active user at a time..
                              I filed my upgrade away for future use, under 'expensive mistakes'.

Having now upgraded to V9 MU, which I'm told is now truly MU, its seems that I still may not be able to use it, as its designed for 10,000 products max!
                              Is this more money down the drain?

Was this 'new' site size recommendation made clear anywhere in the release literature, as its the first time I've read this?

Comment

From Actinics website:

Key Features
                                • Easy to use and intuitive Windows interface.
                                • Complete design and store layout flexibility to create your own unique, customised store.
                                • Powerful marketing and merchandising features to assist in growing your online business.
                                • Extensive store management functionality for easy and efficient store operation.
                                • Flexible product catalogue supports up to 20,000 products including digital products.
                                • Independence to integrate with all the leading online payment gateways and commercial hosting providers.

Comment

Working...
                                X