V9 the slowness of.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it does make me wonder how many developers have turned down upgrade work
    Im happy to upgrade from 7 to 8 but not to 9 at the moment.

Comment

There may be a commercial reason actinic may not wish to publicise upgrades until they are happy to release them

It's also strange that some developers are happy to slag the product off whilst at the same time wanting more info, whilst probably a lot of users are quite happy with the products if not 100% so
      Chris Ashdown

Comment

some developers are happy to slag the product off
        everyone has a bad day when they find out with a bit more communication they could have made better decisions.

ie the benefit of hindsight

Comment

some developers are happy to slag the product off
          Without the input of developers actinic would be nowhere - we find most of the bugs and its the fault of actinic that the only place we can gripe about them is on the forum. eg v9 snapshots which i am now working with cd on and testing .03 for the good and benifit of users and my clients.

So yes I slag the product off and will continue to do so when it does not perform - as jo says with a bit of communication with the people who use the software the most much of this could be avoided.

Comment

Thanks for all this. It made for interesting (and challenging) reading.

I agree this is a logical and necessary next step for Actinic, and am currently putting together a plan for something along the 'developer blog/user group/actually telling people stuff' lines which I think will address this. It's something I've been wanting to do for ages but something always seems to get in the way.

Expect to hear something in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

It's something I've been wanting to do for ages
              Glad you have been kicked into action by us that slagg you off - it will be of great use to all actinic users in the long run.

Comment

Also, we are changing some of our test processes and making a general call for customer snapshots for us to use in our internal testing (yes - another great idea nicked from the Community )

Please go to http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=37689 to read more.

Comment

Oops!
                  Bye the way my site may have 60,000 items but they are mainly all the same under each section so there is less than 300 images and less than 500 pdf files, the rest is very small to moderate amount of text. Probably why it works great in V7 which is an old piece of software.

Chris C.

Comment

V7 when uploading just puts up the products while v8/9 has extra work to do when the marketing features are active so with 60000 products irrespective of text/images etc there will be significatly more checks to do which is why it is so much slower. Interestingly v8/9 is much better at handling images than v7 so that part will be faster in some cases.

While i agree that v9 is much slower than 7 i think you have gone beyond the capabilities of the software TBH

Comment

Chris, I think it's true that you are using the software in an unusual way, but I think with the addition of the single page upload for Actinic (in 9.0.3) especially, you'll still be able to run your business with it.

I've got your snapshot imported into an early version of 9.0.3 now so I'll start carrying out some tests.

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb View Post
                        Without the input of developers actinic would be nowhere - we find most of the bugs and its the fault of actinic that the only place we can gripe about them is on the forum. eg v9 snapshots which i am now working with cd on and testing .03 for the good and benifit of users and my clients.

So yes I slag the product off and will continue to do so when it does not perform - as jo says with a bit of communication with the people who use the software the most much of this could be avoided.
                        I understand your frustrations Mal, BUT

Many others use the forum be it long term users or new people, and it's in everyones benifit that actinic continues to produce software, scareing newbes off the software is to nobodies benifit Actinic rely on people buying the software just like we all do with our own products.

As you have already said you are not here to beta test yet happy to gripe on past glory

If you feel that strong why not email the management directly and use the forum for constructive use and help the software progress
                        Chris Ashdown

Comment

Im sure we have been here before, i actually got told if i did not like it change to another products by one particular member here, who now bitches and winges like the rest of us

But actinic seriously need to step out of the door at actinic towers and take a walk in the park its amazing how quickly things change, as scared you guys are of other companies picking up on your feature always remember "The Door Swings Both Ways"

no were was i, ahh yes GC

D

Comment

If you feel that strong why not email the management directly
                            I certainly do and I tell them in no uncertain terms what I think on the telephone - they know exactly where I stand on the software.

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb View Post
                              where I stand on the software.
                              hmmm i normally run mine on the pc

Comment

Darren - get your coat matey

Bikster
                                SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Working...
                                X