VAT Post Brexit Transition Period End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brucet View Post
    Have you tried that? It doesn't happen on my test site, but I haven't yet tested with a whole new tax zone. I will try it.
    Hi Bruce, Yes we've tried it and it strips the VAT out. We access old orders all the time for returns,refunds,warranty purposes so it's not something we can live with. I've noted from your other post that you want cases to be raised so I'll raise one today for the issue.

Cheers,

Mark.
    Mark Lowery
    Lomo

Comment

Hi All,

There are numerous threads on the community around the changes with Brexit, both the new patches we released and the details around VAT settings.

We are currently fully focused on understanding the issues and providing solutions.

As you can imagine, its a complex and challenging subject and one we rarely discuss as its not very often VAT rules change.

That being said, we are committed to addressing the known issues and providing new solutions. Its a top priority and we'll keep you up to date.

Thanks, Josh
      Josh Barling
      CEO | Sellerdeck Ltd

josh.barling@sellerdeck.com

Comment

How would I go about ordering 13.2 kg of something from your website? Can you point me to a page where I can see how that is set up?
        If you wanted to order 13.2kg... you can't on a Sellerdeck website.

The qty value is always an integer - for the 13.2kg, you would only be able to input a quantity of either 13 or 14 to be the nearest values.

I'd actaully want to ask you back... how can a customer order 13.2kg of an item on a sellerdeck website?
        eg. customer wants to buy 13kg of potatoes, we weigh it, and it's 13.2kg... how do it do it on Sellerdeck?
        - our solution was to invoice 13kg line on sellerdeck and add an adjustment of 0.2kg
        - maybe I've missed it and it's always been there, but is there a setting in Sellerdeck that we can change that enables us to change "13" to "13.2"? (an option to charge to 1dp or 2dp - decimal places)

Comment

Sorry, let me rephrase.
          We sell items by weight... the unit on sellerdeck is per kilo... the units on sellerdeck can only be an integer... therefore when we sell something eg. 12.5kg, we add 0.5kg as an adjustment...
          How are you finding out that 12.5kg is what the customer wants? Since sellerdeck only supports integer quantities.
          Are you using some trick on the website which allows the customer to tell you that they actually want 12.5kg, and not exactly what they ordered? Or does this only apply to telephone orders?
          Eg on this page I can add 500g and then I have to increase the quantity in the cart: https://www.wires.co.uk/acatalog/-AN...PER--wire.html
          A quantity of 25 would give me 12.5kg. Is that what customers are doing? - in which case I don't understand why an adjustment is needed; or are there other products that work differently?
          Looking at the website, I don't fully understand what you're trying to achieve. Do you want absolutely any quantity to be orderable eg if I want 12.37kg? Or just fixed quantities, but in fixed steps?
          Bruce Townsend
          Ecommerce Product Manager
          Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

Sorry, let me rephrase.
            How are you finding out that 12.5kg is what the customer wants?
            They advise us - during checkout they use your standard field for "Special Order Instructions" box, it's located just beneath the shipping option.

Since sellerdeck only supports integer quantities.
            I know. This is the problem.

If quantity = 10, Your database has the quantity = 10
            While weight, = 10 or 10.0 or 10.00 or 10.000, your database has it as 10000

I can see the problem.

Are you using some trick on the website which allows the customer to tell you that they actually want 12.5kg, and not exactly what they ordered?
            No tricks. Customer use the "Special Order Instructions" box beneath the shipping option

For example:
            If they wanted an item to be 12.67kg, they will order either as "12" or "13" and add a comment there
            - they could say, "I need 12.67kgs"
            - or they might even say "I need 1000 metres" of this product, and 12.67kg of that product = 1000 metres.

So no tricks.

The main issue is that the product itself is not available as whole kilos (integers)

For example :
            even if the customer orders 12 kilos...
            the item available on the shelf right now, 12.27kg / 12.31kg / 11.98kg / 11.73kg / 12.02kg / 12.03kg / 12.05kg

Our site... has extra warnings regarding this, and the order confirmation total is worded "ESTIMATED"

Eg on this page I can add 500g and then I have to increase the quantity in the cart: https://www.wires.co.uk/acatalog/-AN...PER--wire.html
            A quantity of 25 would give me 12.5kg. Is that what customers are doing? - in which case I don't understand why an adjustment is needed; or are there other products that work differently?
            Looking at the website, I don't fully understand what you're trying to achieve.
            That item would be fine.

It's other products, and not on that site.

Let's try on this:

https://www.scientificwire.com/cgi-b...SX1000D_2dD160

The item is sold per kilo
            Sellerdeck only allows for integers
            It is 6kg per reel @ £10.46/kg
            So when you add to cart, it will default to minimum "6"

Let say the customer wants 12.37kg

Customer can't order 12.37kg, so puts in an order for "12" and requests in the "special order instructions" that he requires 12.37kgs

We receive the order... and, for this example, lets say the reels actually weighs 6.67kg + 6.21kg = 12.88kg
            In Sellerdeck, "increase qty" or "decrease qty" only integers = cannot increase 0.88kg

So we put in an adjustment of the 0.88kg @ £10.46/kg= £9.20 added as an adjustment

We advise the customer of the changes.

And we will invoice the ordered line of "12" @ £10.46 + the adjustment = so we have invoiced 12.88kg @ £10.46/kg

Problem is total weight remains 12kg on the EU INVOICE, and it should be 12.88kg

Do you want absolutely any quantity to be orderable eg if I want 12.37kg?
            Yes - ideally!

If you can, then in this example we had... the customer can order 12.37 quantity on the website, and we can change the quantity to 12.88
            Ordering in 2dp is not our main concern, we don't mind customers ordering in integer values, but invoicing in 2dp is.

Therefore, this is ideal as the weight value AND HS code for that item on the EU INVOICE will be correct.

Right now, it's not.

for this example, the total weight of the order remains at 12kgs
            - but it is really 12.88kg

Having the quantity to be 2dp, will resolve this problem
            - total weight will be correct
            - HS code will be correct to that item

while if you have a weight adjustment (I suggested but it's not ideal fix)
            - total weight will be correct (via adjustment)
            - HS code is not clear

Also if you ever going to make Sellerdeck to be intergration ready for a carrier's system... adjustments won't be the option.

We don't mind if the site just offers an integer number... but on the invoicing side, it is preferred that you can add/deduct non integer values.

Or just fixed quantities
            No... we already have something for that as you've highlighted in your example

but in fixed steps?
            Need any quantity from 0.01 in increments of 0.01... is 0.01 a fixed step?

Here is an example of trying to resolve to accomodate INTEGERS for qty, but we can't use this as a solution for this problem

say: it's £10.46 per kilo
            we change to gramms...
            so 12 kilos = 12000 gramms = integer value = great! but...price will change from
            £10.46/kg to £0.01046 per gram

#1 : customers won't like this format, either the gramms or the price
            #2 : 5dp price... Sellerdeck only shows prices as 2dp...
            rounding down is not an option.
            rounding up £0.01046 at 2dp is £0.02 per gram = £20.00 per kilo (should be £10.46 = almost DOUBLE!!)

Having the qty in 2dp is the ideal solution... but the adjustment function to include weight could be a quick temporary fix

Sorry this post is long, hope you understand now.

Comment

I have an add-on "Sell By Area or Length" that allows a price to be calculated based on customer entered dimensions that allows fractional amounts.

See http://www.drillpine.biz/v18-sellbya...-50.html#SID=7 for a "length" based calculation.

With a small amount of customisation this could be changed to add Kg as one of the data entry units.

*UPDATE* Customisation was trivial. Sell by Weight *by Kg or g) now an additional capability.
              See http://www.drillpine.biz/v18-sellbya...-51.html#SID=7
              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks Norman, yes, that's ideal.
                Now that I understand it, TBH this is a discussion for a separate thread anyway - it's not VAT or Brexit related
                Bruce Townsend

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel View Post
                  I have an add-on "Sell By Area or Length" that allows a price to be calculated based on customer entered dimensions that allows fractional amounts.

See http://www.drillpine.biz/v18-sellbya...-50.html#SID=7 for a "length" based calculation.

With a small amount of customisation this could be changed to add Kg as one of the data entry units.

*UPDATE* Customisation was trivial. Sell by Weight *by Kg or g) now an additional capability.
                  See http://www.drillpine.biz/v18-sellbya...-51.html#SID=7
                  Looks interesting!

My main concern was the EU invoice would not show the correct weight...

Trying 12.3kg, on your thing, shows as quantity = 10...

I assume the Sellerdeck invoice would have it as 10kg?
                  - unless you've dones some magical trickery such that the weight and qty values are calulcated to a new variable and the invoice pulls this new variable figure (opposed to SD's qty field)... might work?

Also we use weight based shipping... I assume it would calculate on 10, and not 12,,, which makes a difference, esp overseas shipping

Also customers ordering to 2dp wasn't the concern either... it's invoicing with qty to 2dp - actually to 3dp would be even better as thinner wires are to 3dp... we accept the minor losses on the 3rd dp ...

Our accounts software made some changes mid December and added 2 extra fields for EORI, they advise the 3 fields to be:
                  EORI 1 = GB xxx
                  EORI 2 = Northern Ireland (I think it's code begins "XI")
                  EORI 3 = EU xxx

Also their template for d/notes and invoices has both "Net Weight" and "Gross weight"

I can't actaully see that all this info is required "by law"... but I feel that it should be required to reduce delays in clearance and used to determine types of products to EU to filter out various categories and their

I thought I read also that sales of type : software/services and requires VAT to be charged at the rate of the destination country... OMG... we don't sell that... but if that's true = setting up each EU country VAT... :I

Without integration... working out the totals for each HS code is time consuming... it would be nice if there are a summary of some sort... a bit like how you summarise the different VAT codes (when there's VAT)

Comment

Zgap: I've set the shipping to £1 per Kg and updated the site. See http://www.drillpine.biz/v18-sellbya...-51.html#SID=7

However, as Bruce says this isn't really to do with VAT or Brexit so it may be worth emailing me if interested. Or start another thread and these posts can be moved to it.

I can send you a copy to evaluate.
                    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi All,

We’ve just sent out an email to customers with the below content. If you aren’t on our mailing list, I thought this would be useful to have sight of:

Ecommerce businesses, including large websites like John Lewis, are no longer accepting orders from the EU and Northern Ireland. There are also carriers rejecting new shipments, including DPD who has paused its road service to the EU and Northern Ireland until 13th January.

Because of this, you may want to temporarily stop your website accepting orders from the EU or Northern Ireland.

We’ve written two Knowledge Base articles on how to achieve this:

https://community.sellerdeck.com/for...rs-from-the-eu
                      https://community.sellerdeck.com/for...rthern-ireland

Thanks Josh
                      Josh Barling
                      CEO | Sellerdeck Ltd

josh.barling@sellerdeck.com

Comment

Our shipping to EU countries are not grouped - carriers have different prices to various EU countries, ie: Shipping price to Malta is a different one to France...
                        So ours are listed individually.

However, our shipping is such that:

EU Countries are mainly served by the same shipping classes:

Royal Int'l Signed For (EU) - the other is RoW (Rest of World)
                        Parcelforce Euro Priority
                        DPD Road

Before Christmas we just set "Available Online" = unticked

Hopefully this will stop most orders
                        - Paypal ones ie. there was mentioned of bugged Paypal Express ones that can go through even with no valid shipping method
                        = maybe set the "limited by location" option "ticked" and limit to only UK? would that work?

I would suggest a notice on the website would be better to inform EU customers...
                        - don't want a customer spending xx time added xx of lines of items only to not be able to checkout at the end
                        - wasn't there a setting to ask the location of the customer early on the order process? that might be a thing to enable also so on the 1st item added, customer is informed

Comment

For the notice thing : I saw this from last year

https://community.sellerdeck.com/for...d-on-each-page

Comment

Originally posted by zgap111 View Post
                            For the notice thing : I saw this from last year

https://community.sellerdeck.com/for...d-on-each-page
                            This is working fine for both COVID 19 and EU Customer Notice on our website with changed background colour and added text size in the CSS code for emphasis:
                            Code:
                            font-size:1.8em;
                            Martin
                            Mantra Audio
                            Martin
                            Mantra Audio

Comment

I'm unfamiliar with CSS... thanks for the extra line for font size

Comment

What is everyone doing about VAT on shipping for sales to the EU? As far as I've been able to find out, VAT on shipping still follows the VAT on the goods; so if the goods are zero-rated, so is the shipping. Is that also your understanding or have I missed something?
                                Bruce Townsend

Comment

Working...
                                X