No announcement yet.

Moved Host site wont work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We tried to use the Wizard and it did not fix the issue.

I am not being willingly vague to muddy the waters around the issue.

Before starting the personal attacks please ensure that you know me?

THe plain facts are: I am a web developer with over 10 years experience on multi million pound projects - I have taken over a customers site I have never used Actinic, but it seems pretty straight forward, and it seems the very unprofessional last company have installed it using work arounds and non standard installation to keep the customer tied to them.

I have read the help files following the instructions and despite everyone saying don't install on the root folder it will not work unless installed there and even then its looking for .fil files it cannot find.

I will repost the last network config again. I also repeat I am willing to pay for a couple of hours of someone's time to resolve this for my client so we can all move on.

Comment

Have you tried my suggestion Mark?

Comment

I have read the help files following the instructions and despite everyone saying don't install on the root folder it will not work unless installed there and even then its looking for .fil files it cannot find.
        This is part and parcel of the same issue. I don't know if the previous company have hard wired some settings in the actinic database as if I try and click 'view cart' it's running the scripts in /cgi-bin/ and looking in /onlinestore/ for the .fil files

A General Script Error Occurred

Error: Error opening configuration file ../onlinestore/prompt.fil. No such file or directory
        Press the Browser back button and try again or contact the site owner.
        Your best bet is to try and get actinic working in the standard configuration. That's the easiest option, the one that's proven to work and the one we can all help you with. To keep trying different settings in a non-standard way is just digging yourself into a deeper and deeper hole.

If I was in your position I would:

1. Delete everything on your server (by which I mean the Actinic files and directories in your webspace folder - Obviously not mail folders, stats folders, etc.)

2. Use acatalog as your shop folder name, use cgi-bin for the cgi folder name (unless this doesn't work on your server - and if it doesn't I'd use a web host that can use it).

3. use the standard network settings you've been given.

4. Depending on what problems remain, we can look at them and work out what needs fixing. You can also log a support request with Actinic online if you don't have Cover or call them if you do.

As Jules says. This isn't rocket science but you need to start with a solid base from which corrections can be made. The alternative , scatter gun, approach is unlikely to get anywhere.

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Originally posted by markormiston View Post
          I will repost the last network config again.
          Network settings .txt file and screen grab of Web > Network Settings please.
          Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Originally posted by Southwest Test View Post
            Have you tried my suggestion Mark?
            Yes tried it and the same issue - its seems liek Mike has mentioned previous have hard coded links in the database - I was trying to get the site to work as a standard config but looks like they have fudged it too many times. The other huge issue I have is my customers broadband connection is so slow (270k up at best) it takes 40-50 minutes to make a change and then test it.

Their software is on a desktop otherwise I would bring them here and use our infinity connection.

Comment

I was trying to get the site to work as a standard config but looks like they have fudged it too many times
              Seriously, I suspect the only way to get this working is to go back to the standard setup. To try and fudge something already fudged is just asking for trouble.

Are you an Actinic user? Get the customer to send you a snapshot of the website and download your own copy of actinic desktop. You can always use their license keys to get this sorted. Using the same license keys on multiple desktops is not a problem so you can use your PC and broadband connection to get this fixed.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post
                Seriously, I suspect the only way to get this working is to go back to the standard setup. To try and fudge something already fudged is just asking for trouble.

Are you an Actinic user? Get the customer to send you a snapshot of the website and download your own copy of actinic desktop. You can always use their license keys to get this sorted. Using the same license keys on multiple desktops is not a problem so you can use your PC and broadband connection to get this fixed.

Mike
                Mike Could not agree more, I am total novice with this software and to get it working on a standard set up would be ideal for me.

I am just worried what they have fudged is too time consuming to remove - judging by their past performance on the customers SBS Server and PCs its not surprising - these guys give us all a bad name.

Network :

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
                HTTPPROXYADDRESS
                HTTPPROXYPORT 80
                HTTPPROXYUSER
                HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
                FTPPROXYMODE 0
                FTPPROXYADDRESS
                FTPPROXYPORT 21
                FTPPROXYUSER
                FTPPROXYPASSWORD
                SCRIPTID 6
                SCRIPTEXT .pl
                SMTPHOST localhost
                WEBSITEURL http://www.lrtipping.co.uk
                IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
                USERELATIVECGIURLS false
                PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
                USEENHANCEFTP true
                FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 15000
                FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
                FTPKEEPALIVEINTERVAL 30000
                FTPSILENT false
                FTPMAXRETRIES 3
                FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 25000
                SMTPAUTHREQUIRED false
                SMTPUSERNAME
                SMTPPASSWORD
                COMPRESSIONPACKETSIZE 1024
                COMPRESSEDUPLOAD false
                CATALOGURL http://www.lrtipping.co.uk
                ONLINESTOREFOLDERNAME acatalog
                CGIBINURL http://www.lrtipping.co.uk/cgi/
                PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/
                CODEBASE ./
                FTPHOST 79.170.44.11
                FTPUSERNAME
                FTPPASSWORD
                PATHTOCGIBIN /cgi/
                USEPASSIVEFTP true
                FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG
                Attached Files

Comment

Mark, with the network settings that you've just posted, when you click on the 'Test' button what errors (if any) are reported?

Or does the test complete successfully, and your problems are with hard-coded links only?

Comment

As I said earlier, you also have to change the catalog url. It should be:

CATALOGURL http://www.lrtipping.co.uk/acatalog/

Is there a reason you're not using cgi-bin for the cgi folder? Only if those links are hard coded to use cgi-bin them I'm wondering why you changed it?

Mike

Comment

Mike

Heart Internet only allows one CGI BIN folder and that is below the publichtml folder which is inaccesible. any copies of it are ignored hence the cgi part.

Get no errors when testing.

Comment

I agree with Mike about the cgi-bin folder renaming thingy.

If there is already a 'cgi-bin' folder in the root of your new webspace, you might opt to ignore it - you don't have to use that one

If possible use your Heart control panel to create a brand new fresh folder for your site, one level down from the root (public_html) - have a look to see if the system automatically creates a cgi-bin folder within this - if it does, job's a good 'un - if not, create your own and set the appropriate permissions

Create a new FTP user with password specifically for the new shop folder

Then re-run your network settings test and let us know what errors you get, if any

Comment

Bingo! That's your problem... I'm sure of it

PS: the reason I suggest using your Heart control panel as opposed to FileZilla, etc is that the control panel may well set the cgi-bin folder/permissions up for you automagically, thereby reducing the chance of introducing further errors

Comment

The settings suggested by actinic are here: http://community.sellerdeck.com/showthread.php?t=45140

Personally I'd use them as the starting point, although if you can create and use your own cgi-bin then great. What I've seen does seem to agree with you about having to rename it, so I'd use the default cgi-bin and the settings in the link.

Mike

Comment

This is Heart's view on cg-bin

The 'cgi-bin' is a protected folder name and will always point to the cgi-bin in the root of the webspace. Any other folder called 'cgi-bin' will not be found. Either place the script into the cgi-bin in the root of the webspace or change the name of the folder you've created and adjust the code accordingly.

Comment

Yes, this is what I was referring to earlier in the thread when I pointed out that the 'cgi-bin' is a 'special' folder. However, this does not mean you cannot create your own 'cgi-bin' within a sub-folder of your choice under the root. Have you tried this? I would be seriously surprised if you couldn't do this?

Try it... it will take all of 5 mins... I think you'll be up and running

Comment

Working...
                                X